Monday, June 12, 2017

Vogue 8907 Cape Sleeve Pullover Top

Love. This. Top. 


Even with all its wrinkles after a day at the office.


I was browsing Chico's website a few weeks past and saw this "Chrissy Cape Pullover" in the clearance section.

I loved the look, but didn't purchase it, even at the clearance price of $24.99, as I rarely purchase clothes without trying them on first (I have the hardest time finding anything in RTW to fit me!)

That's when I remembered I had purchased a Vogue pattern with the faux cape sleeves some time ago. Sure enough, in my pattern stash was Vogue 8907 from 2013.  It's now out of print.  
I'm not sure why I waited so long to sew it, but I'm glad I did as I would have cut a small in 2013, and only four years later I need every inch of that medium. Even with the FBA. Sigh...

I dug through my fabric and discovered a black stretch silk. The fabric was narrow, but I had just enough to to cut view A. 

I cut a straight medium, did a full bust adjustment and made no other alterations.  I eliminated the facings and finished the edges with narrow bindings.  Even if I had wanted to add the facings, I couldn't as there wasn't enough fabric left.  I wanted to finish the edges with bias bindings, but due to the shortage of fabric cut the bindings on grain with the stretch.

The cape sleeve is gathered and placed at the front of the armhole and secured with the armhole binding.
The back of the cape sleeve is attached to the lower back edge.  It's pretty fun to wear as it billows out slightly when you walk.

It's a fun top. Fun to sew, fun to wear. I wish I hadn't waited four years to sew the top, but I'm glad the design is still in style.




Pin It

4 comments:

  1. This is gorgeous! I think you're gonna drive people to eBay to look for this pattern to copy you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so glad you showed how this is attached at the shoulder. It really is a gorgeous top. And looks fun to wear. Thanks for the review. Have fun fluttering around the flower bed. Lol.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Sharon,

    My name is Anuj Agarwal. I'm Founder of Feedspot.

    I would like to personally congratulate you as your blog Sharon Sews has been selected by our panelist as one of the Top 100 Dressmaking Blogs on the web.

    http://blog.feedspot.com/dressmaking_blogs/

    I personally give you a high-five and want to thank you for your contribution to this world. This is the most comprehensive list of Top 100 Dressmaking Blogs on the internet and I’m honored to have you as part of this!

    Also, you have the honor of displaying the badge on your blog.

    Best,
    Anuj

    ReplyDelete
  4. So cute! And, yes, Carolyn is right. When I saw your post on IG over a week ago (while in Italy), I ran right to ebay to buy it. ;)

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin