An Animal Print Sewing Workshop Helix Top
Everytime Linda Lee wears a Helix top on one of her Facebook Live videos (also posted on their YouTube channel) I tell myself I need to sew a Helix! This past week I finally sewed one just to test the fit.
I know from experience that many Sewing Workshop patterns are oversized, so I chose to sew the size in between - the medium. The finished bust measurement for a medium is 46", which gave me 6" of ease.
It is larger than I like. Even as I write that I chuckle, because I am always saying how I don't like my clothing to be tight or form fitting :-)
But in this case, the top feels a bit sloppy and I think I'd be happier with a slimmer fit. The finished bust measurement for a small is 42", which would give me 2" of ease. I may try sewing a small, but with a one or two inch full bust adjustment.
It's described as "Long sleeve, spiral, bias-cut shirt. All-in-one front/right sleeve mimics back/left sleeve. Neck binding and stitched hems."
Because I was just testing the fit, I didn't think too much about my fabric selection. I ended up using an animal print sweater knit. It's been in my fabric stash for so long that I'm not even positive where it was purchased. I think it was from Fabric Mart Fabrics.
Even though this is a knit, I used a straight stitch throughout. I found it loose enough that there is no stress on any seam, so I didn't think there was any need for a stretch stitch.
I did lower the neckline by 1-1/2", which is something I typically do for tops with a round neckline, like this one. I just prefer the look with my large bust.
The best part of the top - those seam lines - are hidden because I used a print. To help highlight them I added some decorative stitches using a red Mettler Poly Sheen thread. I received the thread, along with additional threads, in a swag bag that had been given to all of the 2021 BERNINA Ambassadors. I don't have an embroidery machine, but this thread works great for decorative stitches.
Because I just can't seem to not share my boo-boos, here's a pic of how I messed up at the neckline. I'm not going to bother to fix it. First of all, this top was really just a test. Secondly, my hair will cover that section. Thirdly, most people will never even notice it.
Besides lowering the neckline, I didn't make any other pattern alterations. I did find the sleeves too long, and hemmed them with a 2" hem. I have short arms (thanks Mom!) and this is common for me.
With the looseness of the top, I would have liked it to be longer. I think if I sew this smaller I'll be happier with the length.
Overall, it's a great top and pattern. This version will most likely be worn around the house with leggings during the cold weather months.
I couldn't resist another pic with the big puppy, and you'll be happy to know I didn't misstep this time. If you don't know what I'm talking about check out my Itch to Stitch Sabalito Top post.
As a BERNINA Ambassador, I stitched this using my BERNINA 770QE Plus.
Wishing you a blessed day. Happy Sewing!