Sewing up a Storm and an Update on an Interrupted Life

Hey everyone!  I sure didn't expect nearly two months to go by before I blogged again.  First of all, thank you for all of your comments, and private messages. Having that support from this lovely sewing community meant so much to me.  I do apologize for not responding to all of them. I'll explain later.

Before I get to the update on my interrupted life, I want to share that I have been sewing like crazy!  Here's a collage of some of the items I've sewn since June. Some I've posted on my Instagram page (https://www.instagram.com/thesharonsews/) others just in my Instagram stories.
Many of the projects, especially the ones I sewed when I first returned to sewing, were very simple. I sewed pull on knit and woven tops as well as pants with flat fronts and elastic backs. I was still having difficulty raising my arms, buttoning buttons, and zipping zippers.

Be ready to see a lot of blog posts as I start blogging about all of my sewing projects!

Now to the update on my interrupted life. Things got worse before they got better. That seems to happen a lot in life doesn't it?

To date, I have not yet received a call from the rheumatologist's office to schedule an appointment. That referral went in on June 7 and today is August 8. It's been two months!   I certainly don't understand why they never called back. I followed up. My husband followed up. My doctor's office followed up.  Not a peep.  I guess when you get a voicemail and the message says "You've reached XXX.  I only return calls on Thursdays and Fridays, because I'm too busy on Mondays, Tuesdays, and Wednesdays" you shouldn't set your expectations too high that you will actually receive a return call.

My symptoms had continued to deteriorate. I was in constant pain, my feet were so swollen I had to find a pair of shoes two sizes larger in an extra wide width or go barefoot. I had trouble getting in and out of chairs. Riding in the car to the grocery store 10 minutes away would cause my knees to lock up. After sitting in a church service, my husband would have to pull me up as I couldn't get up by myself after sitting for an hour. I slept in 1-1/2 to 2 hour increments due to the pain. I tried a prescription sleeping pill, but it didn't help, and I wasn't fond of the idea of sleeping pills so I just put up with no sleep.  It was quite humbling, and I'll admit I have a greater empathy for those suffering with chronic pain.

By this point, I am guessing I was depressed. I cried easily and often. I stopped returning my friend's calls. I gave up sewing for a while as it wasn't giving me any joy. Even though I composed responses to each of your comments and messages in my mind, I just couldn't find the energy to actually sit at the computer and respond.

My husband and I finally realized that local rheumatologist was never going to call us back to schedule an appointment, so we contacted our insurance company for help. They were amazing!  They found a rheumatologist in Tyler, Texas (about an hour from where we are living) that could see me right away.

In less than five minutes, the doctor informed me I had rheumatoid arthritis. That it had been in my body and the trauma of the surgery brought it to life. That it was a "healthy" person's "disease" as it strikes randomly and at any age.  He also informed me that in up to 20% of cases, the initial test is negative (as mine was a year ago when I was tested).  He gave me a shot to "kick the inflammation out of your body" and put me on predisone for a month.  I had blood drawn for more tests, and will return to see him the end of August for an official diagnosis and treatment plan.

I was amazed at how quickly I returned to feeling like myself again! The swelling has gone done, not only in my feet but my entire body. Many of the clothes I sewed in June are too large, but I think I can alter them so they can still be worn.

In addition, I have begun physical therapy. I go two times a week for work on my shoulder flexibility, and do water exercises in the pool two times a week to work on building the strength back in my legs. In just three weeks I've seen a big improvement. I know it doesn't sound like much, but I can now put my hair in a ponytail, I can zip up a pair of pants with a back zipper, and I can put dishes away in the kitchen cabinets. Those are all basic living activities that I was unable to do a month ago.

Please keep me in your thoughts and prayers as I continue to heal.

Watch for a flood of blog posts with my latest sewing projects (and maybe a video or two)!

Comments

  1. Oh my gosh! RA can be so debilitating. I'm glad you're feeling better.

    I get so outraged when providers and/or insurance companies do not uphold their end of the bargain. SO sorry you suffered all that time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sharon, so sorry for your suffering. I have arthritis so I know what you are talking about. It is miserable. But something that may also help you, is on You Tube. Chair Yoga with Sherry Zac Morris. They are slow movements. You may really enjoy the results of this.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So sorry you've experienced all this pain as well as all this frustration. Finding a good doctor can make such a difference for those who suffer with chronic pain. You are on your way now and that is great news. Take time to heal and I know you will get there and be sewing along the way! Take care.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

A Sequin Knit Cardigan using The Sewing Workshop Cascade Dress Pattern

Golden goddess gown - a side tie infinity dress that is smokin' hot

Sew a romantic strapless ruffled maxi dress: a tutorial