Wide Leg Polka Dot Pants ~ Vogue 1661 Pattern Review
I love the look of a maxi skirt, but I also love the comfort of pants. Which is why I think my new pants are just about perfect.
How wide you ask? Very wide! Like 54" at each hem wide!
The pattern is Vogue 1661, described as very loose fitting, flared pants with raised waistline and side seam pockets. I hadn't read the description, and couldn't figure out why A and B were different views. Turns out A has a fly front opening and pleats that are topstitched in place, and B has an invisible zipper in the back with no topstitching on the pleats. IMHO it feels like an attempt to provide two different "views" to justify the high cost of the pattern. Fortunately I purchased it on sale ($6.99 plus shipping) from the website.
Another odd thing about this pattern is the sizing. All sizes are included in the envelope, but the sizing is S, M, L, and XL! I understand that for a loose fitting pant with a partial elastic waist, but one with pleats and a zipper?!?
The fabric I used is a blue polka dot linen/rayon blend from Fabric Mart Fabrics.The pants are a fabric hog! I ordered four yards (56" wide) and used most of it.
The back ALSO has full pleats - a detail I didn't notice until I pulled out the the pattern pieces. Obviously I would have realized this sooner if I had looked at the pattern envelope drawing :-)
I didn't want the back pleats. I KNOW pleats in the back are not a good look on my body shape. Years ago, when I was about 25 lbs lighter, I sewed The Sewing Workshop Tahoe Pants which has deep, soft pleats in the front and back. They were sooooo unflattering on me that I threw out both the pants and the pattern as I didn't want to be tempted at some point in the future to sew them again.
I folded out the back pleats added a back dart, and there is still plenty of width at the bottom of the pants.
Because I have a large bust I didn't want the waist of the pants to be as high as designed and lowered the waistline by 1".
The front of each leg has two deep pleats. In my version the pleats are pressed toward the center front. I did not topstitch them in place. I may go back and stitch the pleats closed another inch or two as I think that may be more slimming on my body shape.
You can see from this side view that the pleats release right under my tummy. You can also see how wide the pant legs are! I did eliminate the side seam pockets also.
The pants are finished with a wide facing that is interfaced. I didn't use a heavy interfacing, even though that would help maintain the shape of that high waist. I made a conscious decision to use a medium weight interfacing to provide some structure, but keep them comfortable too. I thought I would find the heavy interfacing uncomfortable to wear.
I stitched the top of the facing and all along the invisible zipper by machine. I put a short tutorial on my YouTube channel if you're not familiar with that technique.
Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XJWEO5EyCbo&t=1s
I still need to figure out what top(s) to wear with these pants. As I've gained weight, my tops have gotten longer as I stopped tucking them into pants and skirts. Well, long doesn't work with here! These pants need something cropped or tucked in.
Here I'm wearing The Sewing Workshop Eureka Top sewn from a lightweight knit (I think it was from Hobby Lobby).
Although the pants are quite memorable, I plan on sewing another pair. I just need to start digging around in my fabric stash to see what I have that would work.
Want to see me modeling them? Check out the pattern review video on my YouTube Channel:
https://youtu.be/zSVx80i6n9I
Are you Team YAY or Team NO on the wide leg pant trend?
Blessings!
How wide you ask? Very wide! Like 54" at each hem wide!
The pattern is Vogue 1661, described as very loose fitting, flared pants with raised waistline and side seam pockets. I hadn't read the description, and couldn't figure out why A and B were different views. Turns out A has a fly front opening and pleats that are topstitched in place, and B has an invisible zipper in the back with no topstitching on the pleats. IMHO it feels like an attempt to provide two different "views" to justify the high cost of the pattern. Fortunately I purchased it on sale ($6.99 plus shipping) from the website.
Another odd thing about this pattern is the sizing. All sizes are included in the envelope, but the sizing is S, M, L, and XL! I understand that for a loose fitting pant with a partial elastic waist, but one with pleats and a zipper?!?
The fabric I used is a blue polka dot linen/rayon blend from Fabric Mart Fabrics.The pants are a fabric hog! I ordered four yards (56" wide) and used most of it.
The back ALSO has full pleats - a detail I didn't notice until I pulled out the the pattern pieces. Obviously I would have realized this sooner if I had looked at the pattern envelope drawing :-)
I didn't want the back pleats. I KNOW pleats in the back are not a good look on my body shape. Years ago, when I was about 25 lbs lighter, I sewed The Sewing Workshop Tahoe Pants which has deep, soft pleats in the front and back. They were sooooo unflattering on me that I threw out both the pants and the pattern as I didn't want to be tempted at some point in the future to sew them again.
I folded out the back pleats added a back dart, and there is still plenty of width at the bottom of the pants.
Because I have a large bust I didn't want the waist of the pants to be as high as designed and lowered the waistline by 1".
The front of each leg has two deep pleats. In my version the pleats are pressed toward the center front. I did not topstitch them in place. I may go back and stitch the pleats closed another inch or two as I think that may be more slimming on my body shape.
You can see from this side view that the pleats release right under my tummy. You can also see how wide the pant legs are! I did eliminate the side seam pockets also.
The pants are finished with a wide facing that is interfaced. I didn't use a heavy interfacing, even though that would help maintain the shape of that high waist. I made a conscious decision to use a medium weight interfacing to provide some structure, but keep them comfortable too. I thought I would find the heavy interfacing uncomfortable to wear.
I stitched the top of the facing and all along the invisible zipper by machine. I put a short tutorial on my YouTube channel if you're not familiar with that technique.
Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XJWEO5EyCbo&t=1s
I still need to figure out what top(s) to wear with these pants. As I've gained weight, my tops have gotten longer as I stopped tucking them into pants and skirts. Well, long doesn't work with here! These pants need something cropped or tucked in.
Here I'm wearing The Sewing Workshop Eureka Top sewn from a lightweight knit (I think it was from Hobby Lobby).
Although the pants are quite memorable, I plan on sewing another pair. I just need to start digging around in my fabric stash to see what I have that would work.
Want to see me modeling them? Check out the pattern review video on my YouTube Channel:
https://youtu.be/zSVx80i6n9I
Are you Team YAY or Team NO on the wide leg pant trend?
Blessings!









You did an awesome job with the changes you made. Great with the no pleat back. I love the pattern that way and thanks for that heads up. As far as the tummy pleats, I would make them shorter and release higher. At least give it a try before sewing up a new length for them. I love them with the tucked in top and they look great that way on you.
ReplyDeleteHi Bunny, Thank you! Means a lot coming from someone as talented as you are :-) I will try making the front pleats shorter, I never thought of that. Thanks again!
ReplyDeleteI love how your pants turned out. I bought the same pattern. I want to make view B with the invisible zipper and I noticed looking at the pattern pieces that the right and left fly facings are indicated as being used. They are also shown on the cutting layout. Is it just me or are they not necessary? In the assembly instructions they aren't mentioned anywhere.
ReplyDeleteHi Lori B! Oooo, can't wait to see them! That must be a mistake the company made on the layout. I sewed view B and those pattern pieces (2 - left fly, and 3 - right fly facing) are not used.
DeleteGood catch on your part! I never even noticed that :-)