Happy 2020! I'm starting the new year - and new decade- by finishing some of my sewing WIPs. I had posted a YouTube video about two months ago sharing what I had to finish. Figured if I went public I'd be more likely to finish. Seems to be working as one is done!
Vogue 8930 (and currently still in print). I love the BIG collar! In fact, that's what attracted me to the pattern.
Let's talk about this animal print fabric! I bought it from Emma One Sock in 2016.The poly/wool cheetah print was described as a "medium weight washable fleecy jacquard woven with a yarn-dyed
cheetah design in rich and vivid tones of teal, mocha and black. It has a brushed, fleecy texture on the face and a flatter knit on the reverse, but the cheetah pattern is on both sides." The wool content is only 10 percent. I can't wear wool without itching, but I hoped the low wool content would be okay. I'm happy to report, so far so good.
The pattern is rated "Very Easy" and it is indeed easy. I sewed view A, which is the shorter view. It is an unlined, single-layer jacket. However I didn't read the description close enough because I missed the "raw edge finish" part.
At that point I realized it was not going to work as sewn and that I would have to rip out all of the stitches and resew everything.
So, what did I do? I folded it up and told myself I'd rip everything out "next week". Ha! Next week became next month, then it was next season, then next year, and before I knew it we were packing to move to Texas.
And the jacket still wasn't done. But I couldn't leave it behind! So it moved to Texas as one of my sewing WIPs.
At that point I cut off all of the raw, ravelled edges. The jacket is oversized so I knew cutting away some of the seam allowance wouldn't have an impact on the fit.
French-seams to the rescue! Every seam in this jacket is a French-seam, which I then pressed to one side and stitched in place. Ha! Take that you raveling fabric! Those seams are not going to unravel anytime soon.
I basted the lining to the wrong side of the sleeve and treated it as one piece.
I finished the raw edges (collar, jacket hem, sleeve hems) by turning the fabric to the right side 3/8" of an inch and pressing in place.
Next, I placed velvet animal print ribbon over that and stitched in place along both edges of the ribbon. My handy-dandy knit-edge foot for my Pfaff was perfect for making sure the stitches were even.
On the bright side, by waiting I now have a brand new jacket that is perfect for Texas winters!