Sunday, September 03, 2017

The "Wonder Women" Knit Cape Top aka Butterick 6490

"Wonder Woman!" sang my hubby as I entered the room modeling my new top. Keep in mind, he didn't mean this as a compliment.  He meant that he thought the cape was odd and it would draw attention when worn.

"Thank you!" I replied.  I don't care what he meant; I certainly don't mind being compared to a strong, intelligent woman!  And I certainly don't mind drawing attention to a top I'm wearing, especially if it was sewn by moi :-) 
The pattern is Butterick 6490, a fairly new release. If I remember correctly, it was released soon after I posted my review for my Vogue 8907 cape sleeve top (which I love, love, love!)  
This design is very similar to a Chico's top I had been eyeing, but I'd much rather sew one myself so I can be sure it will fit in the bust.

Speaking of fit, the pattern is described as close-fitting, and based on the finished bust measurement, I knew I would need an FBA (full bust adjustment).  Instead of sewing the dart I added to the pattern,  I did small gathers along the side. However, I found myself tugging this top down as I wore it, which tells me I need more room in the bust.  I'll do a larger FBA next time around (oh yea, there WILL be another version of this top!)

The cape on this top makes you want to spin! 
Seriously, you won't want to stop! 
Or maybe that's just me. I love twirling any chance I get. Must be all those hundreds of ballet lessons :-)

But look at how the cape fans out!
Okay, now I'm dizzy!  So back to the pattern review.

Because of the large cape, the top requires about 2-1/2 yards of fabric.  The fabric I used is from Fabric Mart Fabrics. It's a lovely blue shimmer jersey knit with silver metallic threads. It appears to be sold out but any moderate (35% stretch) knit will do.

The cape has a center back seam and is finished with a narrow hem on all edges. From the back it does look like you're wearing a cape.  When you're not twirling that is :-)
I found the front edges of the cape wanted to turn back exposing the wrong side of the fabric. It might just be the way it fits me (large bust), but I'm not sure.  Next time I'm going to add more to the front of the cape so it is attached to more of the front neckline.

The instructions call for both the sleeves and neck edge to be finished by turning to the wrong side and stitching in place. I finished the sleeve openings that way, but added a narrow binding to the neckline.

I'm really pleased with how this turned out. It's fun, it's unique, and I can't wait to sew myself another one.  Right after I sew one for my sister that is!


Pin It

3 comments:

  1. What fun!!! Enjoy wearing it!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think this is such a fun top. Tell Hubby this is your super woman top!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin