Wednesday, July 06, 2016

The Cold Shoulder Look with Hot Patterns Metropolitan Urban Gypsy Blouse

I wasn't planning on wearing an off-the-shoulder look this season ... but then I sewed the HotPatterns Metropolitan Urban Gypsy Blouse and quickly changed my mind.
I've been hesitant to try the off-the-shoulder tops. Mainly because I don't want to invest in a strapless bra that would not get much wear.  So I've sewn a few tops with cut out shoulders and admired the off-the-shoulder took on everyone else.

When StyleArc introduced their Cara top I was so tempted to purchase that pattern! I don't even remember how many times I placed it in the shopping cart and then removed it.  I really liked the flat front band, but was not sure how the gathers would work with my bustline.

Then I stumbled upon the Urban Gypsy Show and Tell on YouTube and discovered this Hot Patterns design had a shelf bra - and a flat band in front with darts and no gathers. Sold!
While waiting for the pattern to arrive in the mail, I set off to find fabric at SR Harris, my favorite local fabric store.When I found this panel print I knew I had my blouse fabric.  I'm not sure of the fiber content as that information is not included on fabrics at SR Harris, but I would guess it's a polyester. It's blouse weight, but not sheer.
I did a small FBA to the blouse, as well as the shelf bra. I ended up not adding the shelf bra as it only would have been necessary if I planned on going braless, which I am not.

I like the flat front of the band, combined with the dart. I think it works well on my bodyshape.

If you follow me on Instagram (@sharonmads), you saw a couple of the pics of the progress.  I sewed the entire top using French seams as the fabric liked to ravel. I also finished the hem and tie ends with a narrow hem (the same technique I used on the Burda 6762 top blogged previously).  It took extra time but it was well worth the effort.

The tie cuffs are such a nice design detail.

My biggest challenge was trying to determine how much elastic to add to the shoulder/back area.  It's stitched in place before the side seams are stitched, so I pinned everything, tried it on, and made my decision.  Now that it's completed, I can tell it's a bit loose on the upper back. 
Even though you can see it falling down in the back, I did not feel the need to adjust this top while it was worn. It felt like everything was in place and I was in no danger of exposing anything. I think that's due to this being a well-designed pattern.
I've only sewn with a HotPatterns pattern twice, and that was years ago. The first one was a fit disaster and the second was a simple knit top that didn't require fitting. I'll admit I was slightly nervous about trying another one, but I'm so glad I did!  If their other patterns are drafted as nicely as this one is, I'll be a repeat customer.
Sadly, I have no place to wear this top. I'm going to have to schedule a dinner and wine night with my girlfriends if hubby doesn't take me out soon just so I can wear it!

Finally, a picture with me and my little one. I warned you in my last post that there will be more pics with her as she's my old girl and if she's not sleeping she's right next to me.

 ***********************************************


Pin It

9 comments:

  1. Love this! Your fabric is beautiful and works perfectly for this pattern!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You choose the best fabrics and as I watched this on Instagram I knew it was going to be fantastic! Love, love, love this.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very, very pretty! You definitely need to schedule that dinner and wine night AND make hubby take you out so that you can show this off!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is very pretty, and you look great!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a beautiful top! It very definitely needs a proper outing.
    It seems to me that a few years back, Hot Patterns were on everyone's sewing list. These days not so much. They have some very interesting designs.

    ReplyDelete
  6. So very pretty! You definitely need to wear it somewhere. I have been eying this pattern, but hesitated because I had some of the same issues you did with HP. I might have to buy this one.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love this and the drape is perfect. Would you mind sharing, even on IG, your FBA technique? Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful top - perfect fabric!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin