Monday, January 21, 2013

Casual Comfort - Vogue 8817 tunic


Another casual knit tunic has been completed. Perfect to pair with skinny jeans and boots for running weekend errands. Or at least it will be once the temps warm up again.  As I write this the temperature outside has reached a balmy 0 degree F.  Yea, it's a good day to hibernate and sew, which is what I plan on doing as soon as I hit publish on this post. 

This is the knit tunic that inspired me to color block the Vogue 8831 sleeves when I discovered I was short on fabric. 

The pattern is Vogue 8817, a Katherine Tilton design that includes this long version with the hi-low hemline as well as a hip length scoop neck tee.


This is the first Katherine Tilton Vogue design I've sewn as the truth is I'm not really an artsy  clothing kinda gal.  But something about this design drew me in and I purchased the pattern during a BMV pattern sale.  (By the way, there's a BMV pattern sale going on right now through 1/22/13.)

It's described as close-fitting. Hmmmm, maybe...you judge for yourself.  I sewed a straight 12 (shoulder/bust) tapering to a 14 at the hip with no alterations at all. 

The light gray fabric is a rayon jersey; the black is an ITY knit (actually a 99 cent dress from the thrift store); the body of the tunic is a silk jersey print from SR Harris Fabric Outlet.

I had originally purchased the silk jersey to sew a maxi dress, but discovered it was a bit more sheer than I had anticipated.  It worked beautifully with this tunic with its great drape. 

The pattern pieces fit together well and the sewing was simple. You can't see it in the photo, but each section is topstitched after being sewn together. The only change I made to the sewing instructions was to bind the neckline before sewing one shoulder seam - which is how I bind all of my knit tops. 

I'm loving the hi-low hemlines at the moment, but it's an easy change if that's something that doesn't appeal to you. 

You know it's a winner when you're daughter sees you wearing it and says "Can I have one just like it, please?

*******************************************

Pin It

28 comments:

  1. Very nice and you look charming wearing it. I'm guessing with that *close fit* you didn't need to grade out at the hips. Enjoy wearing that and stay warm and sew today! g

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I expected a closer fit, but I'm actually pretty pleased with how it "flows" when moving. Of course, I'm sure a lot of that has to do with the silk jersey.

      Delete
  2. Looks super on you, particularly how you have styled it! And a vote from the daughter just says it all...J

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I've since changed from leggings to skinny jeans but the overall look is the same. And yes, I'm making an identical one for my daughter. We haven't had matching outfits since she was a toddler, tee-hee!

      Delete
  3. You take the cutest pictures. Your daughter has good taste as well. Love the tunic!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw thanks Laury. You have no idea how long it takes to get one decent shot as I have to take the photos myself using a timer. My hubby lost patience with the photo taking about a month after I began this blog :-)

      Delete
  4. I with your daughter, I want one just like it. I'm enjoying wearing tunics with leggings for this cooler season. I can't say cold because I live in Southern California and it's about 78 degrees outside right now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 78 degrees? Now Sherril, that's just mean to mention it when it's below zero here! But it's all relative isn't it? 78 degrees F and I'd be outside sunbathing :-)

      Delete
  5. That's just cute as can be! Oh my--you are really in the deep freeze! MI is in the single digits. When temps hit 40 degrees, people put on shorts and put the top down on the convertibles!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Pretty fabric, nicely put together, too. You and your daughter will be a darling "set" :)

    Mary Beth

    ReplyDelete
  7. That's the best compliment to get, when DD asks for one too.
    You look fab - as always.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wonderful new top!! You are inspiring me to try some of those Katherine Tilton patterns even though too would never put myself in the artsy fashion category. Looks like a fun, cozy outfit.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wonderful tunic! I love your joice of fabric, it looks much more interesting than the original pattern

    ReplyDelete
  10. Top Ten popular Female Singers in the World, Indian Singers, Pakistani Singers and American Singers hot News and Images
    hotentertainnews.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. Fabulous, I love your fabric choice.

    ReplyDelete
  12. How cute. Just makes me wonder why we ever buy ready to wear. It looks great, Sharon.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Sharon, just stopping by to say how delightful your blog is. Thanks so much for sharing. I have recently found your blog and am now following you, and will visit often. Please stop by my blog and perhaps you would like to follow me also. Have a wonderful day. Hugs, Chris
    http://chelencarter-retiredandlovingit.blogspot.ca/

    ReplyDelete
  14. Investment Plans to make money online, Online Jobs can make money online from home, Just Visit
    www.jobzcorner.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. Investment Plans to make money online, Online Jobs can make money online from home, Just Visit
    www.jobzcorner.com

    ReplyDelete
  16. Most Expensive Cars in the World, Top Concept Cars, Top Strange Vehicles in the World and Car latest hot top Wallpapers
    worldlatestvehicles.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  17. Make Money online from home without investment, Just Register and click the ads and earn upto 10 Dollars Daily, The best and Legimate Earning Sites Ever you want
    ProBux.com

    ReplyDelete
  18. Best Beautiful Cars, Latest Hot Vehicles, Strange Cars, Super Cars Model, Funny Cars, Car Latest Models, Cars with Girls, Cars like helicopter and Most Speed and Expensive Cars
    WorldLatestVehicles.com

    ReplyDelete
  19. Now 1st time ever in Internet World, Facebook Earning program has been Launch, Now you Car earn money online with Just use Facebook and earn unlimited. Post a Picture on Facebook and Get $0.5 Dollar per Post, Unlimited Postings and Unlimited Earning.
    Share a Picture on Your Friends wall and Get Unlimited Income from home
    jobzcorner.com

    ReplyDelete
  20. What is Lol...? Every thing you want in Lol and Troll, Now you Get all in one Network, ThatIsLol.. Lol Pictures, Lol Videos, Lol Peoples, Funny Peoples, Troll Images, troll pictures, funny pictures, Facebook pictures, facebook funny pictures, facebook lol pictures, Funny videos and Much More only Laughing out of Laughing
    lolsgag.com

    ReplyDelete
  21. Earn Money Launch a New Earning System on Facebook, the best Social Media Website where you can share some fun and earn with us, Share some pictures on Facebook and earn on every pictures you post or share. Unlimited Facebook Wall Sharing and Unlimited Earning.
    Earn with Making Facebook Ids, Make Unlimited Facebook Ids and Get 10$ on Every FB Id.
    jobzcorner.com

    ReplyDelete
  22. Get Part time online jobs on Facebook, The best Social Media Website where you can share some fun and earn with us, Share some pictures on Facebook and earn on every pictures you post or share. Unlimited Facebook Wall Sharing and Unlimited Earning.
    Earn with Making Facebook Ids, Make Unlimited Facebook Ids and Get 10$ on Every FB Id.
    jobzcorner.com

    ReplyDelete
  23. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Online Marketing is the Best way to increase your income and Get online visitors or Customer on your company. Many Marketing Way like Facebook Marketing, Website Marketing, SMS Marketing, Products Marketing and Social Media Marketing such as Facebook Likes, Twitter Follow, Youtube Views and Much More International Advertising Systems, Just Visit
    HotCurrentAffairs.com

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin