Monday, January 14, 2013

Casual Comfort - Vogue 8831 Knit Tunic


As I mentioned in my last post, my first few sewing projects of the new year were sewn to fill out the severely lacking casual side of wardrobe. 

This fun knit tunic top is Vogue 8831, a Very Easy Vogue Custom Fit for A, B, C, D cup sizes. The pattern is described as "close-fitting, pullover top and tunic have double-layered, draped collar, side front/side back seams and stitched hems". 

The tunic is designed for a two-way stretch fabric. The black and white polka dot cotton/lycra knit I choose only had stretch one way. No problem with the fit, but the cowl doesn't drape as gracefully as it would with a softer knit.


The contrast hem and wrist bands were quite by accident but I'm really pleased with the extra pop it gives to the top.  I didn't have enough fabric for the long sleeve version (which I needed if I wanted to wear this anytime before April!).  Since I had colorblocking on my mind as I had just finished sewing Vogue 8817 I pulled out some knit scraps and added the cuffs.  To balance the color I added a contrast band at the tunic hem.

Just two small fitting alterations were made to the pattern - a small forward shoulder and sway back adjustment.  I used the pattern piece for the dee cup and was pleased that no other alterations were needed in the bust area.

I'm not usually one to sew patterns multiple times, but I'm making an exception this time.

********************************************************* Pin It

25 comments:

  1. Really like this on you, great job on the trim.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lori. I like it when a "challenge" (not enough fabric) turns into a design details.

      Delete
  2. So smart looking.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is charming. Seriously charming. Did you wear that to your new job today? How was that? Hope everything went well. g

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw thanks G! No, didn't wear to the new job. New job is professional attire (just like my previous job) and first week went well.

      Delete
  4. Looks cute. I like the contrast.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's so cute. I like the contrasting trim. Nice touch.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Gwen! I think the contrast really helped kick it up a notch.

      Delete
  6. Very nice casual look! Great for dress down day at work too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks - yes, it could work for a dress down day at work. Always nice to have that option!

      Delete
  7. I really like the contrast bands, it totally makes it. I'm pretty sure I have this in my pattern stash...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You must pull it out of your stash and sew it - it's a great pattern. Goes together quickly and fits well.

      Delete
  8. Love how you added the color blocking! It's a great top!

    ReplyDelete
  9. That looks so comfortable and chic!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Comfy and chic, now that's a combo I like! Thanks!

      Delete
  10. I just love that top. I picked up the pattern in December and have it on my "to-do" pile... I need casual at home stuff to wear, too. Love your color blocked version. It really does kick it up a notch!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it's perfect for at home wear, although it is so cold here right now that this would not be warm enough, even inside the house. I like to wear it when we go out for a bite to eat at a casual restaurant.

      Delete
  11. Great looking tunic! The pop of color really makes it special.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love the contrast trim!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin