Monday, January 07, 2013

New year, new sewing, new changes

Welcome 2013! 

Yea, yea, ...I know I'm already a week behind with the new year welcome.  But honestly the end of 2012 and the beginning of 2013 was a bit of blur.  You see I (like many others) was feeling under the weather. Not just a little mind you, but enough that I feel like three weeks of my life have gone missing. 


Not only did I miss a few days of work (which rarely happens), but I missed all of the family Christmas celebrations (sob), cancelled all Zumba classes I was scheduled to teach (like anyone would want to take a class from someone as sick as I was), and the thought of sitting upright long enough to try and sew something brought me to tears.

But all that is behind me now and I'm eagerly looking forward to a new year. 

The best news of 2012 was my son learning that his doctor was very pleased with the results of his last MRI and felt confident that follow up MRIs could be done very six months instead of three.  Today he is health with no side affects. Unless you knew his history, you would never know that almost three years ago he discovered he had a brain tumor.  Praise God as this was a miracle.

One of the biggest changes coming my way in 2013 is a career change. After 12 years with my current employer, I accepted a job this past December as a city communications coordinator and will begin next Monday. It was bittersweet when I gave notice as I enjoy the work I do, my co-workers are fabulous and the organization is a great place.  However, this new opportunity is something I've wanted for quite some time and I am very excited to get started.  Plus I'm pretty sure my new co-workers will be fabulous and this organization is pretty great too.

Last year sewing was placed on the back burner for some time as I concentrated on getting licensed to teach Zumba and then continued with group fitness certification so I could teach at the YMCA. While I enjoy teaching Zumba, I discovered that I adore teaching Zumba Gold (designed for beginners and boomers) and now have a weekly class with a group of ladies that make me smile just thinking about them. 

When I wasn't teaching or practicing my routines, my husband and I did a lot of home improvement projects which took up a lot of our time on the weekends.  At least when it's not warm and sunny outside. On those weekend days we're on the motorcycle enjoying the scenery. 

Sewing wasn't completely put aside.  I did a number of projects for Sew News and Sew iT All magazines (many have been published already), and have another project that will be in the third One Yard Wonders book.

2013 has gotten off to a good sewing start as I've already finished two knit tunics and a pencil skirt - one a #fail, but that's another post for another day.

Here's to a new year, new sewing and new changes.

****************************************************
Pin It

10 comments:

  1. Congrats on the new job! That is truly wonderful news! I'm sure that you are going to enjoy the challenge of a new position, your new environs and most especially your new co-workers! Also thanks for sharing the wonderful news about your son...I know you must be so thrilled that he is doing so well!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry you were so sick over the holidays, but I'm glad you are feeling better. I've seen the sneak peaks on Instagram (my new favorite social media). Thrilled to hear the good news about your son and congratulations on the new job. I hope you got a tiny bit of down time between the old and the new. g

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy New Year. Sounds like of fun things coming up for you. Shame you were so sick. Seems like a lot of people missed out on Christmas celebrations.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I live in Minnesota too, and it seems everyone is, or has been, sick lately. Glad you are feeling better, and congrats on the new job and your son's clean bill of health. What a great start to the year!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sorry to hear that your year ended on a sick note, but I'm glad you're feeling better, and that your son is continuing to improve. Best of luck with the new job and the new sewing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Then we will both be published in the 3rd One Yard Wonders book ~ how fun !
    Maybe I'll see you at the book party next year?? I'm assuming they'll have one @ Crafty Planet...

    ReplyDelete
  7. How cool is that? I love teaching Zumba Gold too! I now teach a Zumba Gold (r), seated in the chair!

    Congrats on the son news, and your new ventures at your next job!
    zumbawithgaileee.blogspot.com and
    love2sew4fun.blogspot.com

    gaileee

    ReplyDelete
  8. You're starting the new year with good, all the way around. Congratulations on your new job. How exciting to start a new adventure. And most of all, such good news about your son. Blessings for a healthy and happy new year.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Congratulations Sharon on the new job, and I am so happy to hear your son is doing well. Have a prosperous 2013

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sorry to hear you were so ill!!! Glad to read that your son is in good health now!!! Interesting to read about your new job and congrats on landing it. I need to find a Zumba Gold class for me.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin