Thursday, July 12, 2012

Vogue 8810 - the dress and review

My how time flies!  I finished my Vogue 8810 some time ago but forgot all about posting the final dress. So what do you think?  I didn't scoot Sophia out of the way since I figured she'd bring the all important "awww" factor to the photo shoot.

 I was looking to sew something lightweight and comfortable to wear during the hot summer months yet stylish enough to wear to the office.  This dress fits the bill perfectly.
 
And it has pockets!  I love pockets!


The waist is cinched in with a self-fabric tie. In this busy print you may not be able to see this, but the casing for the belt is on the outside of the dress. A nice touch.


It also has the all important twirl factor. Not as great as my all time favorite twirl dress, Vogue 1027, but let's face it - it's kind of hard to beat that one.  The rayon fabric (with lemons and Paris and other French words I can't read) swishes ever so slightly when I walk, which I adore.  It just feels feminine and fun.

This pattern is a Vogue Easy Options dress. The dress itself was fairly simple to sew.  You may recall that I did a small FBA on the dress (details on this post).  What I discovered is that I could have used a slightly larger FBA and lowered the waistline about 1/2".  The bodice isn't quite as loose as I wanted it to be. However it does look like the sample on the pattern envelope cover.

There is hand sewing involved. The entire front band of the dress is faced and the facing is hand stitched in place. And unlike some people (yes, Karen, I'm looking at you...) I'm not a big fan of hand sewing. I have a dirty secret too:  I avoid hand sewing whenever possible. I find it tedious and boring.  There. I've said it.  Sigh, however I do sew by hand when necessary. 

The dress has buttons and buttonholes the entire length of the front. Guess what? I found I can pull the dress on and off without ever unbuttoning one button.  Just a little tidbit...



All in all I'd say this one's a keeper.   And if I hurry I can sew another before the temps begin to drop.

*************************************************************


Pin It

18 comments:

  1. So much fun and SO pretty on you! Makes me smile just to look at the pics :) :) :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is such a fun & pretty dress. You look great!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh wow, I really like this dress! That is such a cool print and you did a beautiful job with construction.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You choose a fantastic print and the twirl factor is icing on the cake! Terrific dress.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fabulous fabric. I bet the dress is quite fun to wear.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Adorei, adorei...

    Eu amo seu blog, apesar de não entender o idioma, tenho que usar o tradutor,

    Parabéns Sharon

    Gisele
    Brusque - SC (Brasil)
    http://www.giselecsantos.blogspot.com.br/

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is such a perfect summer dress!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lovely! Enjoy wearing it. g

    ReplyDelete
  9. Cute, cute, cute! Why, you could Zumba in that dress! You reminded me that fall is just a breaths away. We in MI don't get as cold as you do, but we get cold enough in the winter, thank you. And, we do get your winds!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautiful-and what a nice tip about the buttons! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh goody. I have this pattern, and I am waiting for a few pounds to go away before making it, maybe I should hurry up 8-D. So nice to know it went together well. I love the dress on you.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love the print!! Very cute dress. You have inspired me to sew for something for myself. I brought a McCalls pattern today for 99 cents but no material. I will have to go to Joanne Fabrics for that.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Sharp, really sharp!

    ReplyDelete
  14. It really worked out well...Nice job on the fitting, and the fabric choice is such fun! I just picked up this same pattern...may have to give it a go!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love this dress. The style and the fabric go together perfectly!

    ReplyDelete
  16. You look so good! Love the dress!

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a great dress! I love your fabric choice. I would have avoided this one because of all of the button holes, but if you can pull if over your head, I might just be able to do this one!

    ReplyDelete
  18. WOW! That's an ACE dress. The fit is fabulous and the print works so well with that style. Hope you get heaps of wear from it
    xxx

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin