Wednesday, January 18, 2012

The “Frankly My Dear, I Don’t Give A …” vintage 60s capelet

Remember the bound buttonhole I mentioned in my last post?   Well, my project for this week's challenge at The Sew Weekly has been posted so I can now share it with you!

Just look at that lovely bound buttonhole!

 It belongs to my new 60s era velvet capelet. 

She's named "frankly my dear, I don't give a ..." in honor of Scarlett O’Hara’s curtain dress.


Um, Sharon? You do know this isn't a dress, right? And that it's not green?

Yes, yes, I know. 

But, it IS cotton velvet and it DID begin  life as a bedroom curtain.  Pretty resourceful, huh?  Just like good ole' Scarlett.

The idea came to me when I was hemming a new pair of bedroom curtains.  After seven years I decided it was time for a bedroom redo that involved more than just painting the walls.  As I tossed the old cotton velvet curtains in the washer to prepare them for the donation bin I took a hard look at them and realized there was a lot of usable fabric there!  Why donate something I would normally purchase from a thrift store?

The pattern I used is vintage Simplicity 5416, copyright 1964.   Since my copy is a small - and an early sixties small at that - I cut it a smidge larger. I also lengthened it four inches in lieu of an FBA.


Oh! And what's that you see? Could it be...

Why yes. It is indeed animal print lining.


This capelet itself was quick to sew.  In fact, that one bound buttonhole took more time to do than the rest of the capelet. 

Of course that could be because I took photos of the entire  process so I could share a bound button tutorial with you.

The best part of this entire refashion was the look on hubby's face when he realized I had turned our bedroom curtains into a capelet.

************************************************* Pin It

16 comments:

  1. Sharon, these are great pics of you (but that is true always)! What a cute cape. I love that it is recycled curtains.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww, that's so sweet of you to say that Mary. I'm glad I thought to recycle the curtains before donating them.

      Delete
  2. What? No picture of hubby's expression? ;~D I really liked this cape on you, until I saw the lining...that took it into LOVE! Great upcycling project!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now THAT would have been a great photo!

      Delete
  3. I like this! It is truly cool that you made it from curtains. Great job on the bound buttonhole.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Linda! Definitely more bound buttonholes are in my future.

      Delete
  4. That is just cute as can be. I love that lining. I'd be flipping the cape all the time just so people could get a peek at it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I just might do that :-)

      Delete
  5. Cute! Very, very cute! And, of course, the bound buttonhole is perfection.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I couldn't believe how easy the bound buttonhole was - time consuming, but easy.

      Delete
  6. Adorable on you. Love the button too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I really thought I could find a large vintage button in my stash but no such luck. SO covered button to the rescue.

      Delete
  7. Awesome! I LOVE the lining!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Me too - I do love animal prints.

      Delete
  8. Super cute and love the fun lining:))

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin