Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Vogue 1250 - that easy to sew DKNY dress

Once upon a time, a long time ago...

Okay, it wasn't that long ago.

It was only this past April.

So let's begin again.

Once upon a time, a few months ago, I sewed two versions of Vogue 1250.

The first one was sewn from this lovely bold print (from SR Harris of course).


I thought the fabric would be perfect as the dress had few seams allowing the bold print to show off.

Alas, I was less than thrilled with the result.

"But" I thought "maybe it wasn't the fabric at all, but the fit!"

So I did a small FBA on the bodice pattern

And sewed a second one.

In a lovely lilac knit (also from SR Harris) 

"Hmmm" I thought, "better, but I'm still not sure. Maybe it just needs a little tweaking."

 So tweak it I did.

Two plus months later.

On the lilac dress I removed some of the excess fabric on the lower back bodice and took in the side seams in a smidge.

And now I like it.



Ahhh. I love stories with a happy ending*, don't you?

* A happy ending for the lilac dress anyway. The bold print dress is tucked away in the closet mourning the fact that it may never see the light of day.

(I'll show you how I did the FBA in tomorrow's post)
************************************** Pin It

16 comments:

  1. Lovely lilac dress and great story. Could the print dress find happiness as a top or tunic? :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it looks fabulous. I have jumped on the bandwagon and bought the pattern.....g

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have this pattern and the perfect fabric for it; now I'm excited to finally make it! {If I can ever get my sewing studio finished, that is.} This looks stunning on you; great job!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It looks great, very flattering I was worried you were going to blow my theory that this dress is perfect for everyone!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the lilac colour & looks great on you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The tweaks you did certainly made this dress a winner. Very flatttering on you!

    And Sharon and her lilac dress lived happily ever after...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes you are definitely rocking that dress now! *smile* Glad you were able to get it to work for you because I think this is just THE perfect dress pattern!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Looks great! I can't wait to see your FBA tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wonderful! There must be something you can do with the print version!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a fantastic dress!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Sharon - How are you removing fabric on the lower back bodice. Does it mean you have to put a horizontal dart there?
    Looks great on you!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your persistence paid off and you have a lovely purple dress. Maybe you can salvage that print and make it into a top.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I agree, the lilac one is really nice! I've added this one to my "must have" list!

    ReplyDelete
  14. You look terrific in lilac! Kudos to you for keeping this dress!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Lori had the same thought as me that maybe the print dress could become a tunic top? I like the colour of lilac dress.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin