Tuesday, April 26, 2011

The easy DKNY dress is underway: Vogue 1250

When the latest designs from Vogue Patterns were released I fell in love with the DKNY knit dress, Vogue 1250.  As did many of you!

I was eager to whip one up for myself after seeing Carolyn's (LOVE), this beautiful red version (GORGEOUS), a vibrant blue version (WOW!) and of course the versions viewed on PatternReview.

Between working and taking two classes my spare time (i.e. sewing time) is very limited. However, the other day I found myself with a few hours and quickly set out to sew this dress for myself.


I choose a knit purchased recently from SR Harris. I knew the bold graphic print needed a simple design and with only two main pattern pieces this dress definately qualified. As I did zero alterations to the pattern I was able cut and sew it in about two hours.

As soon as the last stitch was sewn I was changing out of my yoga pants and tee into the dress.

Wearing my new creation, I stepped in front of the mirror expecting to be wowed and .... blah.

That's right.  Blah.

I hated the way it looked.  The shape just wasn't working for me. Oh how disappointed I was. After all everyone else rocked it!   

"Okay" I thought "Maybe it wasn't the best fabric choice."

Because that's how I roll. I try and find some logical explanation (i.e. excuse) for why I don't like something I've spent time sewing. 

So number two is under way - the purple one.

The truth is, I'm not positive this is the best shape for my body type. I suspect this will be a dress I'll need to wear belted - if I wear it at all. 

For now you only get to see them on GiGi.  But if I like the purple one I'll style it and model it for you.

*************************************************** Pin It

14 comments:

  1. Wow - that's interesting that you don't like yours on you! But I understand...I like the concept of mine but it is close-fitting and that's taking some getting used to!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can you wear a black cardigan with the graphic print one? I like the shape and the second version looks pretty (as does the first). Try on the dresses and fix them up with belts, sweaters or jackets, maybe you will feel differently about them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'd like to see it with a belt - it's such good fabric! Reminds me of a Vivienne Westwood I saw once. There must be a way to make it work :-) sorry if this comment appears twice (or more), Blogger keeps swallowing it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think the graphic print is amazing. I would love the own that dress.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am crazy about the red and black one! So 80s!

    ReplyDelete
  6. If those dresses don't work for you, will they work as tops, instead?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great idea about making them into tops. I love both of them. They are beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Gee, I really like them hangin' there...

    ReplyDelete
  9. As a newbie sewer myself, I'm just impressed you can make something that can actually be worn! Hope the purple one works out for you. I like the look of the dresses. Perhaps the "fix" is all in layering other things with it?

    ReplyDelete
  10. I think the purple is elegant, but the print is smashing, headturning. I like the idea of a thinnish belt; to quote Mr. Gunn, "Make it work!"

    ReplyDelete
  11. That style wouldn't look good on me either, but I love the material.
    Debbi
    - ourhometoyoursx

    ReplyDelete
  12. I can't imagine the purple one not looking good on you! Maybe just needs to be fitted to your shape on the side seams? After all you have a great figure! As for the other one, well personally I don't like it but that is just my taste in colours and patterns.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hate it when that happens. I made a dress from one of the PR top 10 and it was awful!!

    Seems to me, even on Gigi the purple dress is more flattering. But, I love the graphic print!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin