Monday, November 23, 2009

Do you have a LBS? (A little black skirt)

I'm sure you've heard of the LBD - the little black dress - and that every woman should have one in her wardrobe. But what about the little black skirt (LBS)? I think every woman should have at least one of these in her wardrobe also.

In my closet there currently resides three little black skirts - two that I sewed and one purchased at TJ Maxx.

The latest little black skirt is this one sewn using McCall's 5984, bringing my total of black skirts up to four.

McCall's 5984 Classic Black Skirt

This pattern is a great basic skirt. I personally prefer contour yokes to waistbands, which is why I decided to sew this one to begin with. The skirt is slightly tapered, hits just above the knee, and has a walking slit in the center back.

The one thing this skirt didn't have was a lining. So I added one. It was a good use for some ugly silky fabric that's been hiding away in the stash for a few years.

I used the front and back skirt pieces as my pattern and sewed the the lining to the yoke facing. The lining is hand sewn in place around the walking slit.

McCall's 5984 Classic Black Skirt Lining

Speaking of back slits...that back slit is another place to use the mitered corner technique I used on the aprons I've been sewing.

McCall's 5984 Classic Black Skirt mited hem vent

The fabric is a lightweight, tightly woven wool purchased during my 45-minute fabric buying excursion to SR Harris. Since the skirt only requires one yard of fabric (60" wide) I have enough left over for both a jacket and pants.

I've also completed the jacket from this pattern, which I'll share with you tomorrow.
Pin It

14 comments:

  1. Very cute skirt, I like the contoured waistbands, too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice miter! Great lining too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cute! And a great lining print! I've been thinking I need to sew a black pencil skirt for ages now. You've inspired me to actually get around to it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your right - a LBS is an absolute wardrobe essential and this one is really lovely - very sleek and I love that lining.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wao, beautiful... I like the lining print

    ReplyDelete
  6. Does a mid-calf one count? You are SO right - a LBS is an essential for every woman's wardrobe; as is a pair of black slacks, a couple of black tops, black jeans.... Black's such a perfect background for anything and everything. Oh, did I say I love black?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Now I feel inspired to sew a skirt... Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm a much bigger fan of the LBS than the LBD, as black does not do me any favors, at least not when it's worn near my face.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very nice! Love the lining. I'm inspired to sew a LBS for myself now!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have 3 black skirts in my closet, but no LBS. :) I love yours; it looks great both inside and out.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Anonymous10:40 PM

    I have one and I AM one!
    Linda S

    ReplyDelete
  12. I do and I'm wearing it tomorrow. It is indeed the most worn garment that I've made this year.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love it. Also a fan of the contoured waistband. Your lining is so fun and I love the whole outfit on the dressform!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Cute skirt..I love the contoured waistband and the lining is awesome....

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin