Sunday, July 23, 2017

The HotPattern Riviera T-shirt Starring...the Sleeves!

This may the season of the sleeve, but this HotPattern t-shirt design hit the trend a decade before it became a big, big trend! (Like my photobomber in the bottom corner? LOL)
I'm wearing the ruffle sleeve version from the HP 105, Riviera Once, Twice, Three Times a T-shirt pattern. It doesn't appear to be available any longer (on their website). The copyright date is 2005.
While I think the sleeves on this top are fun, fun, fun, there's a few things about the pattern I wasn't fond of.

First of all, there is only one piece that is used for both the front and the back.  I sewed it as is this first time, just so I could get a feel for the design and fit.  Next time, I'll make a new front pattern piece and do an small FBA.

Next, the neckline. Ugh. Do Not Like It At All. It's designed rather wide, as you can see on my dressform - GiGi, in case you haven't met :-)
After seeing how wide it was, I removed the facing, narrowed the neckline and restitched the facing. I probably went too far in as now the neckline feels too snug.
That's okay. I'm sure it will be just right the next time!

Can we talk about the neckline facing? Another dislike. It is so wide! But again, that's an easy fix.
I do like these sleeves!  And they were so simple to sew. It's just a rectangle stitched to the armhole opening.  I didn't even hem the sleeve edges.
The pattern is easy-to-sew and can be completed in about an hour.   I found it to be longer than illustrated on the pattern envelope and will shorten it next time.
The few dislikes with that the pattern were outweighed by how much I like the top. It's  a keeper and one that I'll sew again.

I leave you with a pic of me with my little sewing buddy.




Pin It

1 comment:

  1. Your fabric choice is what really makes this pattern sing! Love, love, love the black 'n white stripes.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin