Monday, May 29, 2017

The Peacock Dress: Vogue 1336


This Sandra Betzina color-blocked dress design was exactly what I was looking for when I wanted to showcase a peacock panel from Emma One Sock.
On rare occasions, Emma One Sock will post a bundle of coordinated color fabrics made up of small pieces.  The bundles typically sell very quickly. However, a few months ago I managed to purchase one made up of blue fabrics. 
The pieces ranged from 11" to nearly 1 yard each, some with areas partially cut out.  I was especially thrilled to find almost one full panel of a peacock knit panel that I had sold out before I was able to make a purchase.
I knew I wanted to sew a summer dress with this fabric as the focal point, but didn't want it to be overpowering. I choose Vogue 1336 (c. 2013) and was able to find two other pieces of fabric from the bundle that worked well together.

The only adjustment I made to the pattern was to lengthen the bodice piece by 1" as I wanted to make sure the seam fell below my bust.  Next time I'll take the time to do a small FBA for an even better fit through the front.

I've found the Sandra Betzina patterns to always have good instructions and illustrations. This was no exception. I liked the very clear instructions for the finishing the v-neckline. I thought it produced a nice, clean finish.
I choose to use the peacock print for the armhole bindings also.
The dress was much longer on me than on the model pictured on the pattern envelop. Rather than add the large bottom band, I added a small 1-1/2" band. I cut the band 3-1/2" wide, folded it in half with wrong side together and stitched to the bottom of the dress using a 1/2" seam allowance.
This dress makes me smile every time I wear it! It won't see time in the office, but it will definitely be worn elsewhere through out the summer months.

Be sure to follow me on Instagram (sharonmads) to see my latest sewing creations.

Pin It

1 comment:

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin