Sunday, August 14, 2016

The Ruffle Collar Pullover Top: a review of Vogue 1515

"Oooo, that collar on your top is fabulous!" exclaimed a fellow church-goer as we exited the morning service. I have to admit, I feel the same way. I love the collar on this top! 
This is Vogue 1515, a Sandra Betzina design that was released for fall 2016.  The pullover top is described as loose-fitting with an elasticized collar that forms a ruffle.
Fabric suggestions are boiled wool, low pile fake fur (hmmmm....maybe), and silk dupioni.  I, of course, didn't bother to check the fabric suggestions and choose to sew my new top out of this highly elasticized knit floral print that raveled whenever I gave it a sideways glance.  The other challenge with this fabric is that, while it stretched (a lot!) it did not have a lot of recovery.  I fused bias tape to the neckline and armhole edges as soon as I removed the pattern pieces to ensure they didn't stretch out of shape.

The top has a boxy shape and is very loose-fitting. I sewed my normal size for Today's Fit patterns and I think I could have easily gone down a size. (But that could have been because of my fabric choice.) I also found the armholes to be very low. I'll raise them up next time as this is designed to be worn alone.
The back is lower than the front with a slightly curved hem, which isn't evident from the line drawing on the pattern envelope.
The ruffle on the collar is created with elastic.  You simply take a piece of elastic and stitch it to the wrong side of the collar using a zig-zag stitch.
After the collar is added to the top a second row of zig-zag stitches is sewn over the elastic securing all layers together. I wasn't careful and my fabric shifted slightly when I was added that second row of stitches.  But with the busyness of this fabric it's not that noticeable.
The armholes and hem are finished with contrast facings. Depending on your fabric choice you wouldn't need to use a different fabric. There would have been way too much bulk if I had used this floral knit for the facings so I used a lightweight stretch woven.  The facings are topstitched in place.
This is a simple-to-sew top that provides a "wow" with that collar.
I'm really liking it and plan to sew myself another - just as soon as I find the right fabric.

By the way, this floral fabric was purchased locally at SR Harris Fabrics
**********************************************



Pin It

12 comments:

  1. Sharon, such beautiful fabric that was obviously not the easiest to work with! Nevertheless, you persevered and look what you have created! Absolutely gorgeous!! I would be very curious what a silk dupioni would look like made up - I have a feeling it would be a stunner as well! I have a few pieces in my stash that may just need to be tested on this fabulous pattern. Thanks for your informative review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Loretta! It certainly was an interesting fabric to sew, but I'm really pleased with the top. I think silk dupioni would be gorgeous!

      Delete
  2. Wow! Fantastic collar and overall cool top.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Really lovely top, the fab fabric and the neckline looks great

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! The neckline is my fave part!

      Delete
  4. That is really gorgeous. I love the fabric that you chose. I had completely passed this pattern by, but need to give us second look now!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ann! This top would look stunning on you!

      Delete
  5. I totally overlooked this pattern, but your version looks fabulous and that fabric is really fascinating!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks Allison! I like that about blogs, I see patterns I would have never thought to try and change my mind when I sew it sewn.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin