Monday, August 08, 2016

The "Interesting" Fabric Sewn Into a Vogue 9190 Knit Shrug

"Well, that sure is interesting fabric," said the sales clerk as I placed it on the cutting table to be measured.  "What are you going to do with it?"

"I have no idea," I replied. 

But I did have an idea. I just wasn't sure if it was going to work and I dreaded the "come back and show us when you're done" comment.

I was going to use the fabric to sew simple, long tunic, but changed my mind when Vogue 9190 was released.  Vogue 9190 is a knit shrug designed by Marcy Tilton.

I made a few tiny tweaks. I added 1-1/2" to the length as I wasn't sure how a short shrug would work with my shape, and I eliminated the drawstring. I also did an FBA using a pivot and slide method.


The shrug cuff has a small vent that is supposed to be on the outside of the arm, not inside like mine.  Oops!
I purchased the fabric locally at SR Harris Fabric. I wasn't the only one intrigued by the knit - when I returned to the store three weeks later it was gone. It's a lightweight knit with strips of knit secured to the backing. I used Pro Tricot Deluxe fusible interfacing from Fashion Sewing Supply (they have the Best. Interfacing. Ever.)

The fabric was - ahem - fun to sew.  And by fun I mean tedious.

Here's a close up of the finished shrug so you can see the fabric.  I so love how it has the trendy fringe-look but in a more subtle way.
The shrug is easy to sew. It was my fabric choice that made construction time-consuming.  

The first thing I did after cutting out all of the pieces was to machine baste all the loose strips in place.
Those tiny knit strips had a mind of their own! They went this way. They went that way. They slipped away when I tried to pin them in place. Sigh. Patience, dear one, patience.

The front of the shrug is finished by simply turning the front edge to the inside and stitching in place. To control the fabric strips I ended up using my finger to hold them in place as best as I could while stitching.
To hem the shrug I carefully pinned from the inside...
Then slowly moved strips away as I stitched the hem in place from the right side.
At the seams where I missed a stray strip, I took my scissors and trimmed close to the seam on the outside.
Like I mentioned, it was tedious, but I'm really happy with the final product.   Now that I've worn it once, I plan on adding the drawstring to the collar as I think the collar would look better.  I found it to be loose fitting, except for the sleeves. As is I could only wear something sleeveless under this shrug.
Next time I'll not add the extra 1-1/2" to the length.  It ends up cutting me off and making my waist disappear (what little waist I still have that is).  I'm leaving it the length as is because, you know, tedious fabric and I don't want to re-hem.
I sewed View A (upper right on the pattern envelope).
I own a couple of Vogue Marcy Tilton patterns, but for the most part her patterns aren't my design aesthetic.  I do like this pattern and can see it made it a variety of knits.

***************************************



Pin It

10 comments:

  1. You've made some gorgeous pieces this summer Sharon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You've made some gorgeous pieces this summer Sharon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This totally works, a Marcy Tilton style of fabric with a Marcy Tilton pattern. I am going to look at the pattern again because yours look so good!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The fabric is what makes this pattern sing and what makes the jacket so unique! Stunning!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What Janet said. 8-)

    Kudos for seeing the potential in this fabric, I would have been curious but would have passed it by. Love it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Super jacket, the fabric has taken it from normal to funky, it looks on

    ReplyDelete
  7. Simple pattern + interesting fabric = one gorgeous jacket!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow! It looks so high end and absolutely unique and beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great combination of fabric & pattern. It looks lovely on you too! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is so cool! I made this little jacket also, and after seeing yours in a white fabric, am inspired to make another. The drawstring is a nice detail but I agree with your decision to leave it off with your version. Thank you so much for including photos of your process-I always learn something from you.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin