Sunday, July 17, 2016

Big Sis, Little Sis Red Heart Skirts Sewn With New Look 6409

Big sister and little sister look adorable in their matching skirts. The skirts were sewn using New Look 6409, a pull-on skirt with an elastic waist.
The skirts were sewn as part of the Hancock Fabric's blog The Stitch that I mentioned in my post "McCall's 3830 Red Heart Skirt Inspired by Christopher Kane Pre-Spring 2016 Collection".  I also sewed a matching skirt for an 18" doll (instructions to follow in another post).

Supplies to make these skirts included the pattern, the same red stretch faux suede as the woman's skirt, 1" wide elastic, red thread, and iron-on heart embellishments. I purchased large and small as I wasn't sure which size I was going to use.  Not shown is red ric-rac and lace hem tape from my stash.
Rather than add a front slit to a child's skirt I stitched a row of ric-rac and added an iron-on heart to mimic the woman's skirt I sewed.
Adding the iron-on heart was pretty simple.  Place the iron-on heart on the right side of the garment with the sticky side down keeping the protective clear covering in place (A); press with a hot iron until it adheres to the fabric (B); peel off the protective covering once it has cooled.
I added lace hem tape before hand-stitching the hems.
It's a very simple skirt to sew.  The pattern also includes  a multiple full skirt with optional overlay, and trim options on the slim skirt version.  I would probably add width to the slim skirt and shorten it next time. On the older girl it's rather long and she's quite tall for her age.  I choose to use the smaller heart, but looking at the photos I think the larger one would have worked better on the older girl's skirt.

A big thank you to my girlfriend for letting me to sew for her girls and allowing them model the finished skirts on my blog. 
*************************************

Pin It

4 comments:

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin