Sunday, December 06, 2015

Butterick 5923 Loose-fitting pullover tunic

This black and white knit tunic was sewn about nine months ago using Butterick 5923. It was another favorite warn weather top that I paired with leggings. (and my oh-so-fashionable surgical shoe!) 
It's a loose-fitting pullover that is actually designed for woven fabrics, such as Crepe De Chine, Voile, Jerseys, Chambray, Broadcloths.  However, I used this lightweight black and white chevron print knit and it worked beautifully for the design.

The front is bias cut forming a deep drape with a stay layer underneath.
 That stay, which is cut on the straight of grain, helps keep too much from peeking out when leaning forward.

The bottom front is sewn on as a separate piece, so the front consists of three pieces (stay, bias front and bottom front).

The back is two pieces, the upper and lower back. 
It has a hi-low hemline, which I still really like. The side also has a small slit.
The 3/4 sleeves are rolled up and held in place with a tab and button.  Since I knew I would never wear the sleeves without the tab up, I eliminated the button hole and simply stitched the button in place.
The waistline is elasticized. If you have a more defined waist that I do, that waistline will be more noticeable, like on GiGi (my dressform.)
 I also eliminated the self-fabric tie belt, only because I ran out of fabric.

The pattern, Butterick 5923, is sized XS to XXL.  I am in between a S and a M, so I cut a small at the shoulder/neckline and graded out to a medium at the bust, waist and hip.  No need for an FBA (full bust adjustment) because I was using a knit.

It was a fairly simple design to sew  and I like how this tunic turned out. I had planned to make myself a summer dress but time got away from me and I'm now sewing long sleeves and using wools and sweater knits.  I kept the pattern though!  There's always next summer.

******************************************************







Pin It

5 comments:

  1. This is really cute! Would you consider making a fall/winter version?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Carolyn! I wore it often but no I won't sew one for fall/winter unless I made it long sleeved as U.S. be too cold!

      Delete
  2. Another lovely top! Love the neckline.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really like this top! It is one I have not seen or paid attention too. Your review of this is the second one of a top with a stay that I have seen; I like that it helps everything stay in its place!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is so cute! I love the chevron on the bias. And the stay is such a great addition to this style.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin