Butterick 5923 Loose-fitting pullover tunic
The front is bias cut forming a deep drape with a stay layer underneath.
That stay, which is cut on the straight of grain, helps keep too much from peeking out when leaning forward.
The back is two pieces, the upper and lower back.
It has a hi-low hemline, which I still really like. The side also has a small slit.
The 3/4 sleeves are rolled up and held in place with a tab and button. Since I knew I would never wear the sleeves without the tab up, I eliminated the button hole and simply stitched the button in place.
The waistline is elasticized. If you have a more defined waist that I do, that waistline will be more noticeable, like on GiGi (my dressform.)
I also eliminated the self-fabric tie belt, only because I ran out of fabric.
The pattern, Butterick 5923, is sized XS to XXL. I am in between a S and a M, so I cut a small at the shoulder/neckline and graded out to a medium at the bust, waist and hip. No need for an FBA (full bust adjustment) because I was using a knit.
It was a fairly simple design to sew and I like how this tunic turned out. I had planned to make myself a summer dress but time got away from me and I'm now sewing long sleeves and using wools and sweater knits. I kept the pattern though! There's always next summer.
******************************************************








This is really cute! Would you consider making a fall/winter version?
ReplyDeleteThanks Carolyn! I wore it often but no I won't sew one for fall/winter unless I made it long sleeved as U.S. be too cold!
DeleteAnother lovely top! Love the neckline.
ReplyDeleteI really like this top! It is one I have not seen or paid attention too. Your review of this is the second one of a top with a stay that I have seen; I like that it helps everything stay in its place!!
ReplyDeleteThis is so cute! I love the chevron on the bias. And the stay is such a great addition to this style.
ReplyDelete