Sunday, November 29, 2015

Style Arc Courtney Top in Rayon Challis

The Style Arc Courtney top is a pullover top with princess seams in the front and a back gathered into a yoke in the back.  The sleeves are cut in one with the side front, back and back yoke.  Recommended fabrics are jersey knit, slinky knit, linen, crepe and silk.


For this Courtney top, I used a rayon print remnant that I had picked up when a local fabric store closed about two years ago. It was just enough for that center front panel.  I purchased black rayon challis locally from Hancock Fabrics to complete the top.

 

Sewing instructions with Style Arc patterns are minimal, but there are also a few illustrations to help guide you. Construction on this top was straight forward.

Stitch the front princess seams, gather the center of the lower back and stitch to the back yoke, stitch the shoulder seams, stitch the neck band, stitch the side seams, stitch the armbands, and hem.   I also choose to topstitch the neck band in place. 


As far as sizing goes, I've sewn so many Big 4 patterns that I know exactly what size I need to use.  For Style Arcs I wasn't sure as my measurements fall in between sizes. I contacted the company once for advice on which size to use and they recommended the larger of the two. However, as I've been sewing more and more of their designs I've discovered that starting with the smaller size and adjusting larger as needed works best for me. Especially when the pattern is designed with fair amount of ease, as is this one.

The only pattern alteration I made was a small FBA (full bust adjustment).  If I had sewn this in a knit, that would not have been needed.  If I sew this in another woven I'll make that FBA a bit larger. 

In my opinion another winner from Style Arc.  The simple design lines allow for multiple variations based on fabric choices, pattern pieces went together nicely, and I like the fit. 


***********************************

Pin It

8 comments:

  1. Perfect pattern for your pretty fabric!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gorgeous top! Love the way the black sets off the beautiful print panel - framed art.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I like that! "Framed Art"

      Delete
  3. Love your top, absolutely the perfect pattern for your fabric. Thank you so much for drawing my attention to the pattern, it is going on my must sew list,

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you ElleC! I like the simple lines of this design as you can really let your fabric take center stage!

      Delete
  4. The fabric you chose for this pattern is perfection! So many nice tops from Style Arc means I'm going to have to take another look at them!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for the very useful review - particularly (for a relative beginner) your observations on sizing and also order of sewing.... I am just about to make a muslin for this pattern, so your comments are much appreciated!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin