Sunday, July 05, 2015

I like it! Vogue 9112 aka the Marcy Tilton Cirque Dress

Let me start out by saying that I loved the design of this dress but did not expect it to work on my body type. Thank goodness that didn't stop me from sewing it as I was pleasantly surprised by how much I like this dress!
The dress pattern is  Vogue 9112, a Marci Tilton design known in the sewing blog world as the Cirque dress. 

I passed on the pattern when it was first released. And then I saw Mary's review.

Since I still wasn't completely convinced this would work for me, I choose to use a linen-blend from my fabric stash rather than invest money in new fabric. The fabric was purchased about 1-1/2 years ago from Fabric Mart Fabrics.  The fabric is somewhat stiff - and it has been prewashed - but it works. 
The dress was so much fun to sew!  Thank goodness the pattern comes with instructions as it would have taken me some time to figure it out on my own.
I found the armholes low in front, but that could have been due to not making a large enough of an FBA (full bust adjustment) alteration to the pattern.
I sewed a small in the shoulder/neck and tapered to a medium for the rest of the dress. I'll share a separate post on how I did my FBA for this pattern. I didn't add much, but I'm really glad I added what I did.

The length of the dress works perfect for me. Not too short, not too long.

The dress has side seam pockets.

I'm also glad I took time to layout the front bodice piece so that the darker portion of the fabric ended up along the bustline.
Most of the seam details are lost in the busyness of this print.  But I like that it just makes the print look that much more random.
I love the collar!  Isn't it cool? Amazing was a couple tiny tucks can do.

I added a little sizing tags. That way if I ended up giving it away the new owner would have an idea of the size.
I found these at Tuesday Morning in the sewing/crafting section.  A set of 24 woven labels for $0.99.  They were intended for children's wear, but you can't tell once the tag is folded in half .
So back to the dress: Love. Fun. Easy.

That pretty much sums it up.

Here's my little sewing buddy again.  You'll probably see lots of pics of this one as she's getting old, has some health issues, and we are spoiling her terribly for as long as possible.

*************************************************************** Pin It

15 comments:

  1. So cute! Loving the fabric!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is very cute on you and looks effortless to wear! Win!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, definitely a win - and you know what I'll be putting on when we have our hot muggy days,

      Delete
  3. I haven't planned to sew this one as I didn't think I would like it on me (much like you were saying), but I did buy the pattern. Your version is really cute and I like it on you very much. Maybe I will give it a try after all. Your fabric is so pretty!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Linda, try it. I was so sure this was not going to look good I had even picked out a friend to give it to when I decided it wasn't for me, LOL. You never know...and it's so much fun to sew.

      Delete
  4. Love your version of this dress. Your fabric is lovely and works well for this dress!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your version is so pretty - lovely for a warm day. I am now more enamored of the pattern - it looks lovely on you :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sarah Liz! That's what I love about blogging - I get inspired to sew a pattern I may have passed over after seeing what someone else has made.

      Delete
  6. Really pretty Sharon!

    ReplyDelete
  7. The dress looks great and YOU look great wearing it. Perfect match!

    ReplyDelete
  8. It is a cute pattern. Love the colors and the comfortable look of this dress.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You look so cute in that dress! May have to make one up for myself.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi- Your dress is very nice! I made this same pattern this weekend and like the dress but did you have any problems with basting the neck facing? I took very small stitches but there is puckering around the neckline.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin