Saturday, April 04, 2015

McCall's 7093 - Woven Top with Hi-Low Hem

Lately I've been shopping at what I call "fast-fashion" boutiques. You may know the ones I'm talking about. The fashions are current, trendy, fairly economical, limited sizes and quick turnover. And I've noticed many current patterns than mimic much of what I see in these boutiques.

For example, McCall's 7093 is a style I've seen (but just can't bring myself to pay the $50+ price tag).  So I pulled out some rayon challis from the stash and sewed this pattern up to test the fit.  I did made a few minor  alterations to the pattern, but more about that later.

Here's the front:
Here's the back:

As I mentioned, the fabric is a rayon challis. I purchased a remnant from the "designer fancies" table at a local fabric store that closed about a year ago.  It was a border print with a different pattern along each selvage edge.  (This pic is two separate photos showing each side of the fabric).
I had to think about how I wanted the pattern placement on the top and choose to have the pattern the same on the front and back.   I used the smaller medallion for the pockets. My pocket pattern placement was a happy accident as the design on the pocket flows nicely with the medallion on the front. 

I used a solid black for the side front panel and sleeves. I originally cut the cap sleeves from the print but thought it was too busy and used the black.

A few alterations were made to the pattern.  I lengthened the entire top by 1-1/2" as I wanted it to be more of a tunic length in the back.  (Remember, if you add length you do need to add length to the pocket piece also.)   I did a forward shoulder adjustment, but the darts at the top of this cap sleeve sit funny so I may have to play with that some more on the next version.

Here's the alteration I made to the front pieces that made me burst out laughing when I realized what I had done.
 If you don't see the error, it's okay.  I'll share the line drawing with you and it'll become clear.
I meant to do a full bust adjustment.  But it's the lower side front seam.  I had cut out all the pattern pieces, glanced quickly and decided this FBA would be easy as it was a princess seam. So I did the FBA, cut out my fabric and went to bed.  The next day when I started sewing I realized my mistake very quickly.  Of course I had no extra fabric to recut so I sewed 3/8" seams and crossed my fingers.  Oh, did I forget to mention that it was late in the evening and that I had enjoyed a few glasses of wine before I did my alterations and pattern cutting. Yep...

Anyway the fit is fine. I would like bust a bit looser so I'll do a real FBA for the next one.  All in all, I'm happy with my new casual top.

By the way, here's the pattern envelope.

************************************************


Pin It

13 comments:

  1. Sharon - I like this top. Funny about the FBA - I'm hoping your bust isn't quite that low!! Love what you've been sewing lately - good, good stuff. g

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha, ha, ha! Love the low bust joke :-) And thanks for the compliment on what I've been sewing. Feels so good to have time to create again.

      Delete
  2. This is a very interesting pattern. Love the design of your top!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooh- Im loving what you've done here- great border placement. Another pattern I need to buy!?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oooooh, yes you do need another pattern! This one's fab. And I do like the challenge of border placements - thanks!

      Delete
  4. Hello from Spain: I really like your outfit. It is fabulous. Keep in touch.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cute. Wine and sewing just don't mix :) But no evidence of a malfunction from here!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! And no, Vicki, wine and sewing don't mix well. At least not for me!

      Delete
  6. I'm so glad that your blogging your sewn pieces again. This top is fantastic! I love how you used the border print for it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks fantastic! Such a fun pattern!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great use of fabric...adding this pattern to my list!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin