Sunday, October 12, 2014

Style Arc Sunny Knit Top - pattern review

I finally sewed a design using a Style Arc pattern!  This is the Sunny Knit top.  If  this top is any indication of what to expect from Style Arc's other designs I'm hooked.

I purchased the Sunny Knit top pattern a few months back, when I purchased the Ziggi Biker Jacket pattern (for the sew-along hosted by Stacy Sews and Sew Maris that I never did find time to join).  At the same time I added Style Arc's Maggie Shirt, Rosie Top and Dotty Blouse patterns to my collection.


I choose an ITY panel print knit purchased from Fabric Mart Fabrics. I had ordered this fabric with another pattern in mind but the print placement didn't work out.   But when I looked at the fabric I easily envisioned the bottom bodice seam line of the Sunny Top along the straight edge of the large medallion.   I placed the sleeve hem along the smaller straight edge of the smaller design.





It was easy to center the front and back bodice pieces along the center of the medallion.  I did eliminate the center back seam so the line of the medallion would not be broken. 



The pattern does not have detailed sewing instructions but what was provided was adequate to construct this top.  Every piece fit together beautifully.  I liked that there was an actual neck band, rather than the "turn under and stitch" which seems to be a common neck finish in many of the Big 4 knit top patterns.


The pattern is described as an oversized cocoon shape and I was a bit nervous as to what size I should order.
These are one size patterns and I choose to order a size 12, which is the size I typically begin with when using a pattern from the Big 4.
I think for this style the size was fine although when I look at myself from the side I can see that my full bust does pull the front up slightly.  The next time I sew this I will add some length to the front to accommodate that and also bring in the lower edge a bit.

The shape is pretty odd when you look at it with arms outstretched.  But fortunately I don't walk around in that position.

I really like the top. I think the ITY knit was the right weight and the panel print worked out well on this design.  I'm now on the hunt for a fabulous sweater knit for my next version of this Sunny top.
After I finished sewing my top I searched for other versions and came across this one  and an awesome panel print one - cute, right?

Who else has sewn the Sunny Top?
***************************************



Pin It

8 comments:

  1. Cute!! Pretty shirt. I have quite a few Style Arc patterns lounging around my pattern stash....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Super cute top, Sharon. I really like this on you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great top!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I haven't sewn this top but you have inspired me to try it!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin