Tuesday, January 05, 2010

First sewing project of 2010 - McCall's 5815 Jacket

Sewing for 2010 is off to a great start with the completion of this jacket from McCall's 5815.

You know which one I'm talking about - the Nanette Lapore knock-off jacket with the great collar. Many of you may be familiar with this pattern - there are 10 reviews on PatternReview as well as some postings of the jacket by other bloggers (I just can't locate the posts at the moment to show you.)

Wanting a jacket to wear during the winter months, I choose a gray striped suiting fabric and used the long sleeves, with slits, from view B with that fabulous collar from view A.


The stripes really play up the areas of the jacket that are cut on the bias - the pockets and collar.

I'm liking the buttons I found - at Joann's of all places. I'm glad I braved the -20 degree F temps this past weekend to hit their 50% off button sale. And I freely admit it - a few of the new spring McCall's patterns came home with me also.

Not only did the color match beautifully, but the button leans more toward fashion versus function. They're a bit unusual in that they are 1/4" thick.

And I'm still using the Fabric Mart silks I purchased a while back as linings.

The matching skirt is about half-way completed. Once it's done I'll post some photos of the entire outfit and write a real review.

Only five days into the new year and I've already completed one item. Go me! Pin It

28 comments:

  1. Looks fantastic, I really like the stripes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wowza! That is awesome. I hope you don't mind copy-catting, because I have a stripe that would be perfect for this pattern, that I have, yet unmade. That is just awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved the jacket when I saw the first picture. When I saw the lining, I loved it even more!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That looks absolutely gorgeous and works superbly with the pin stripe. I've just ordered myself the pattern, based on your lovely work.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You're starting off 2010 with a bang. Gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lori, I love this jacket! I was loving it already, but when I got to the lining photo I fell even harder!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a special jacket, and a great way to start the new year. I think you're inspiring a bunch of us to try this one in a stripe, so cool.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is gorgeous! I love the stripes and the lining. Inspiring!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Anonymous11:16 AM

    This is absolutely beautiful!!!

    Em

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a great start to 2010. The fabric choice is perfect and I like the feminine lining choice against the pinstripe outside.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love the buttons! And the skirt fabric is gorgeous! You've got yourself a very nice outfit!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow, the stripes are fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  13. See now you make me wish I was skinny enough to make that jacket! *LOL* You did a great job on this and with the matching skirt you are going to look so professional...yes, that is envy your are smelling!

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a great way to start the year!

    ReplyDelete
  15. The stripes look great! Fantastic jacket!

    ReplyDelete
  16. That jacket looks fantastic in stripes!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I like how you arranged the stripes-- adds a sense of fun. And love the lining!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Love, love, love, love your version of this jacket. Using stripes was a fantastic idea. You are off to a great start.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I've just ordered myself the pattern, based on your lovely work.

    Work from home India

    ReplyDelete
  20. Great collar! The whole jacket is awesome and you will look stunning in it!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Go you!! that's gorgeous. Love the stripes and the lining. Perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Beautiful work. I absolutely love the lining combo.

    ReplyDelete
  23. So lovely. The fabric choice is just perfect for this jacket. Well done, Sharon!

    ReplyDelete
  24. I love this jacket in a striped fabric. Just gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Sharon that is gorgeous! wow wee!

    ReplyDelete
  26. wow! it's nice to meet you via patternreview. great great great jacket.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin