Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Sew a Barbie apron, oven mitt and matching chef hat

 
Sewing Barbie doll clothes is something I did for years and years and years and---well, you get the picture. I began selling my creations as a young teen and my little part-time business continued for another fifteen years or so.

Over the years I learned a lot about sewing tiny fashions. Recently I shared some of my knowledge over at TheCircle.org. with a three part series on sewing Barbie clothes.

In part one I discussed preparing the pattern and appropriate fabrics. In part two I give you tips and tricks for sewing the tiny fashions using a sewing machine. The last post, part three, covers trims and closures.

And I'm giving you an incentive to return to this blog after you've read the articles. Here's a tutorial on how to sew a lined Barbie apron with pockets, oven mitt and chef hat. Something every fashion doll needs so she will look fabulous while baking and decorating trendy cupcakes.


How to sew a lined Barbie apron

The first step is to draw the apron pattern. You can draw directly onto the wrong side of your fabric or on paper if you plan to make more than one apron.

Draw a horizontal line 1" long, a vertical line 5" long, another horizontal line 2" long and another vertical line 3-1/2" long (see left side of photo). Now connect the 1" line to the 3-1/2" line drawing a slight curve (see right side of photo).

Cut two aprons - one face fabric and one lining - with the 5" line placed along the fold of the fabric.

Next cut a piece of fabric 4" wide by 2-1/4" tall. This will become the apron pocket. Measure in 1-1/2" from each side edge and mark lightly with a fabric pen or chalk. This is the stitch lines for the pocket.


Bind one 4" edge with narrow bias tape.


Place the wrong side of the pocket on the right side of the apron matching the bottom raw edges. Pin in place.

Stitch along the stitching lines you marked earlier creating three small pockets.

Cut four pieces of narrow ribbon 8" long for the ties. You can adjust the length of the ribbon for the ties if you like. I found this length to be one that most little fingers are able to tie on their own.

Measure 1/2" from each edges and pin ribbons. Baste in place.

Take all four ribbon ends and place to the side of the apron as show. Pin the lining to the apron right sides together matching raw edges. Pin in place. The ribbon will come out of that opening.

Stitch along all edges using a 1/4" seam allowance, leaving a 1-1/2" opening along the side edge for turning. Very carefully clip the curves.


Turn the apron right side out. Press lightly, pressing the opening in 1/4". Edge stitch around all edges of the apron catching the opening.


Here's the lining side of the finished apron.

Here's the right side of the finished apron.


How to sew a Barbie Oven Mitt

Make the oven mitt pattern. Again, you can draw this directly onto the wrong side of your fabric or onto paper.

Draw one 1-1/2" horizontal line and two 1-1/4" vertical lines. Connect the two vertical lines curving down 1/2". Cut two from your fabric.


Using a fabric marking pen, on the wrong side of the fabric, free hand draw the stitching line, including the thumb.


With right sides together sew one side seam stopping at 1".


Finger press the seam to one side. Encase the upper edge with narrow bias tape.

Cut a piece of narrow bias tape 1" long.

Fold the 1" bias tape in half and place just below the upper bound edge of the mitt. Baste in place. A dap of fabric glue will help you control the placement of the loop.


Place right sides together and stitch along the stitching lines. Don't forget the thumb!


Very carefully, clip the curves.


Turn right side out.

How to sew a Barbie Chef Hat

Make the chef hat pattern by drawing on the wrong side of the fabric or on paper.

Draw a circle with a 4-1/2" circumference.


I found the top of a 32 oz. yogurt container to be the perfect size for tracing.


Draw a rectangle 5" long by 2" wide for the bottom band.

Cut one circle (hat top) and one rectangle (hat band).

Gather the outer edges of the circle (hat top) by sewing two rows of long stitches - one 1/4" from the edge, the other 1/8" from the edge.


With wrong sides together, sew one 2" side of the band using a 1/4" seam allowance. Finger press the seam open.


Fold the band in half with wrong sides of fabric facing each other. Baste the upper edges together.


Fold both the circle and band in half and place a pin at the fold. You are marking the center front of each piece.


Match the center front and center back of the hat top and the hat band. Pin in place.


Adjust the gathers so the hat top fits into the hat band. Pin in place.


Sew the hat top to the hat band using a 1/4" seam allowance. TIP: Sew slowly or you will have a difficult time controlling this tiny circle. I like to finish the seam by sewing a second row of narrow zig zag stitches.


Turn hat right side out and place on doll's head.

Of course you don't have to sew only white chef hats. Be creative and sew your Barbie a variety of coordinating aprons, mitts and chef hats in colorful prints.

And I leave you with one last tip. P-A-T-I-E-N-C-E. Be patient as you create these darling little fashions and you'll be rewarded with a big smile from your little one as they enjoy the one-of-a-kind treasures you sewed just for them. Pin It

13 comments:

  1. Those are really cute. Thanks so much for the tutorial.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very cute. I think DD's Barbie may need some accessories. :) Thanks for the tutorial.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm bookmarking this post, and will *consider* making some outfits for DD's dolls. Those itty-bitty seams (and closures) scare the daylights out of me! Thanks for taking the time to do the tutorial!

    ReplyDelete
  4. These are FABULOUS!!! I think my fave is the oven mitt, though. It's so TINY!!

    I posted a link to your tutorial on Craft Gossip Sewing:
    http://sewing.craftgossip.com/tutorial-apron-chef-hat-and-oven-mitt-for-a-barbie/2009/07/29/
    --Anne

    ReplyDelete
  5. Argh! That oven mitt is sooo cute! I'll have to link to this in my next Make it For Kids Roundup. Now I have to check out The Circle...

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are a glutton for punishment!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very, very cute.
    I don't think G.I. Joe or any of the Star Wars figures would like wearing an apron!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I don't think I can sew something that small. You made AND sold them? You are amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  9. WAY too cute!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I like it. I sew barbie clothes too but did not do any tutorial in my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh my gosh.. Well, it's no secret I LOVE my dolls.. Never outgrew them! (0; But I'm loving these little Barbie accessories!!! Thanks so much for sharing how, and I've just subscribed to receive your posts by email!! Best wishes to you for a blessed and very Happy New Year! ~tina

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have been working on lots of retro Barbie fashions and have found that the patterns do not alway fit correctly. Patterns labled "12-inch doll" can be for the first issue Barbies, one of the Barbie clones or the more modern shaped Barbie figure. My tip is to "dry fit" the pattern before you sew all those tiny seams.
    I also found that 1/4-inch ribbon is great for hems and covering unsightly seams. It is much easier to use than bias tape and less bulky. I agree with Sharon that it is easier to line the bodice of a garment than make those tiny turned under facings. When this isnt't practical, I have created my own armhole and neck facings.
    You can check out some of my fashions at www.yourfashionplate.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin