Sunday, November 23, 2008

Butterick 5302 apron pattern review

Butterick 5302 Apron front

Just this morning I finished sewing my apron for the Holiday Hostess apron swap. Not being able to find fabric I envisioned combined with a serious lack of sewing time, resulted in a finished apron that looked quite differently than my original sketches. However, I'm still pleased with it and I certainly hope my secret swap partner will be too.

The pattern:
Originally I was going to do my own design. But as time began to rapidly slip away from me I choose to use a commercial pattern. It's Butterick 5302, a fairly new release, that includes four different apron designs.

Fabric Used:
  • The front of the apron and the apron tie: quilting cottons from Treadle Yard Goods. Gotta keep those independent fabric stores in business you know.
  • The white contrast band and waistband: stretch panne velvet. (Note: be sure to interface a knit fabric when sewing to a woven to prevent the slight sagging you see happening on my band.)
  • The underskirt: a sparkly, sheer, polyester fabric embellished with tiny flowers and pearls.
  • Trim: metallic turquoise rick-rack and a lace trim that had white seed beads and turquoise sequins.
Pattern changes
I did make a few minor changes to the design.
  • I added an additional band by cutting a 2-1/2" wide piece of fabric - following the curve of the apron. It was positioned it two" above the point of each scallop and basted in place.
Extra band
  • I added a second layer behind the apron for a touch of holiday sparkle. To do so, I cut a piece of sheer fabric the width of the apron, two inches longer than the apron, and squared the edges. My first version was rounded and I didn't like the way it looked. The underskirt adds a some volume to the apron also.
Butterick 5302 Side view
  • The trims were added where I thought they worked rather than what the pattern directions called for. I sewed the trims over the raw edges of the fabric bands with a small zig-zag. This eliminated the need to turn under the band fabric edges, secured the bands to the apron front and will help prevent the raw edges from raveling.
Butterick 5302 Embellishments
  • Eliminated the heart pocket
  • Lengthened the tie ends, so they are now long enough to bring to the front and tie if the wearer so chooses.

Conclusion:
As usual, this is an apron that I would like to keep for myself, so of course I'll sew another using this pattern as a base for the design.

A complete review can be read on PatternReview. Pin It

11 comments:

  1. What a beautiful apron! I do love the fabrics too. Lucky recipient!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's too pretty to use!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love this apron. I like the colors. Rather vintage!

    ReplyDelete
  4. somebody's very lucky!! I love the cute lil' birds:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sharon it's beautiful! You've got the best eye for fabrics and what goes with what and with which pattern! I came by to see who your blog host was! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ohmy! It wasn't until I saw the side view that I realized the bottom of the apron had that great sheer fabric. This is tooo darling!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Another great apron. I wish I was still playing in the apron swaps - I'd want to be your partner! What a lucky person to be getting that. g

    ReplyDelete
  8. That is very nice!

    ReplyDelete
  9. That is so feminine and beautiful! Your secret pal is going to love it, I'm sure!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love the fabrics, the colors, the design. What a beautiful apron, with such a nice vintage feel. It has so many details, all of them just lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Guess what the mailman just left at my house! You know, they say a picture is worth a thousand words, but in this case, it just isn't true. It's so much better in real life!

    I was so hoping, out of all the aprons pictured on the Flirty Apron Blog this one was meant for me! I'm so lucky!

    Thank you so much for putting this together for me, it's perfect and I love it.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin