In 2018 I sewed this dress out of an ITY knit (blogged about here) and liked it so much that I sewed another using a Liverpool knit. After that I tucked the pattern away.
Earlier this month I was going through my fabrics, and came across this pink stretch velvet that has been sitting in my stash for far too long. I decided to use the velvet to sew a dress to wear to Christmas Eve service.
It's designed to have a partial contrast back, but I didn't do that. The back is all pink just like the front.
The first time I sewed this dress, I had altered the pattern for a full bust. I knew this stretch velvet had less stretch than the ITY knit, so I added an additional 1 inch in the bust area.
Although it's not obvious in these photos, I need even more room in the bust. It feels tight and the dress is pulling across my back.
When the pattern says two-way stretch with 50% cross grain I guess they mean it :-) This fabric is closer to a 35% stretch.
One thing I appreciate about this dress is the pockets. they are in the side seam, but top stitched in place to the front of the dress. Which means they don't flop around inside the dress.
Normally with velvet I would baste, baste, baste (by hand) before topstitching. But I had recently watched a YouTube video with Linda Lee (Sewing Workshop) and she mentioned using Sulky KK 2000 Temporary Spray Adhesive instead of basting the seams of velvet. Well, I had taken a Sulky Instructor course online during the stay-at-home in 2020 and just happened to have some on hand, It worked beautifully!
I do love this design, but am not happy with the fit in the bust area. I posted on Instagram and received advice to let it spend time in the "magic closet" as I might like it better in a few weeks. That is indeed where this pink dress is hanging out for the time being. Time will tell if she gets worn by me or donated for someone else to love.