Two years ago McCall's posted this pattern as a Sew The Look on their Facebook page. Most of the commenters hated the look! Personally, I liked it and purchased the pattern when it was released. I sewed a test version in a black ITY knit (blogged about here).
I recently sewed it again, this time in a beautiful stretch crushed velvet.
As you can see in my photos, the cut-out detail is more subtle than shown on the pattern cover. Even in my first version (a stretchier knit) that cut-out is pretty conservative.
I added stay tape to the shoulder seams.
I did do a full bust adjustment but I think I need even more room in that area. When I wear this top the bust area pulls up above my bust. I had also forgotten that the top is shorter than I like. I'll need to make a note on the pattern in case I sew this one again. With the bust area pulling up and the shorter length I find myself constantly adjusting the top when its worn.
Let's talk about the neckline. At the time I was sewing this (two weeks ago) it was warm (almost 80F) and muggy! I'm not used to that kind of December weather :-) I planned to sew the mock turtleneck, but I broke out into a sweat just thinking about having something around my neck!
So the neckline from View B it was. I narrowed the neckband though as I thought it was too wide.
The neckline is REALLY high. And tight. It's not choking me but I can tell it's there.
I thought about lowering the neckline but I had already sewn the upper front piece to the bodice. By lowering the neckline at that point I would have eliminated a lot of that upper front piece. I didn't have enough to recut the piece so I kept everything as is.
Oh, one more thing. The sleeves are tight on this pattern. I had to to a full bicep adjustment, adding an inch. While my arms are a bit on the larger size, I rarely have to adjust sleeve patterns to add more width.
I like the top and it's perfect for wearing with jeans when we head out to dinner, which I must admit is a rare occasion. But I'm ready when we do :-)