What?!? A year to sew a bomber jacket? Okay, true confession. It didn't really take a year to sew this bomber jacket. I only worked on it for seven months. But it did take me a year to blog about it!
Let me back up and start at the beginning.
When McCall's announced a bomber jacket sew-a-long on their blog in August 2016, I decided to join. Right away I was behind schedule as I wanted to wait for a sale to purchase the pattern (McCall's 7100).
Next, I couldn't make up my mind what fabric to use to sew my bomber. I purchased a couple different pieces locally from SR Harris: a pretty brocade, a border print suiting, and a faux leather. But after bringing them home they just didn't say "make me into a bomber jacket". (Your fabric speaks to you too, right?)
Then it hit me! I remembered this gorgeous piece of fabric I had purchased from Emma One Sock in 2010. It was described as "Milly faux leather applique border taffeta in a honey mustard with a scallop edge, sequins, and faux leather leaves and flowers".
|Photo from Emma One Sock|
By now I had given up trying to do the sew-along as they were on week seven and preparing to do their reveals, while I still needed to alter and cut out my pattern pieces.
I choose to do an FBA, adding a small dart and more width all the way down (which I needed). If you look closely you'll see the outline of flowers on the pattern piece. I drew them on the pattern piece to make sure I wouldn't have an appliqued flower or leave right at the apex of my bust!
Facebook (Sharon Sews) or on Instagram (@sharonmads) I posted a pic in search of opinions on one of three zipper options.
I finally ordered one from Zipperstop.com. Did you know they'll match a zipper for you? I didn't! I placed an order for six different zippers, all close in color, hoping one would match my jacket. When they received my order, they contacted me to ask if I was trying to match something specific. Why, yes I was, I replied. And that's how I discovered they'd match a zipper. This one is much nicer that what I was trying to make work!
But first a vacation! In February we went to Bonita Springs, FL and I switched gears from sewing this jacket to sewing some fun vacation clothes. After enjoying a week break from the cold and snow, I returned home and began working on the jacket again.
I lined it using a polyester print purchased as a pre-cut from Fabric Mart Fabrics. I love the bold, colorful print, which coordinates quite nicely!
instructions for bagging the lining. It looked messy, but it worked.
Here's the back of the jacket.
Whew, I was done! It was now spring 2017 and I realized I had nothing I could wear with my new jacket! So the jacket went into my closet and waited. I would bring it with me on shopping trips to boutiques, department stores, and fabric stores, but I couldn't find a top that worked.
Then I remembered I still had some of the ponte knit I had used for the bands on the jacket and quickly stitched myself a sleeveless pullover dress. I'd prefer to wear this bomber with a tee and jeans, but at least I have something that coordinates.
As I mentioned the pattern is McCall's 7100.