Sunday, November 12, 2017

The Hot Patterns Urban Gypsy Top in an Embroidered Border Denim

"It's too cold to wear that outside!" My hubby's words of wisdom as I donned this off-the-shoulder tunic for an outdoor photo shoot. With temps hovering around 30 degrees F,  I figured I could brave it for five minutes. Which I did - barely.
Hot Patterns Metropolitan Urban Gypsy Blouse Embroidered Denim







It's not sunny out, but I had Lasik surgery a few days ago and am not allowed to wear eye makeup yet, thus the sunglasses!  Yea, I know, I'm vain, LOL. 
Hot Patterns Metropolitan Urban Gypsy Blouse Embroidered Denim
That's it for pics of the top on me! It was too cold for more, so you'll get to enjoy the pics I took on GiGi, my dress form,  a few weeks ago.
The fabric is a gorgeous denim with an embroidered border that I purchased this past June from Emma One Sock.
Photo from EmmaOneSock.com
I knew the fabric needed a simple design to let the beauty of the embroidery shine, so I sewed the Hot Patterns Urban Gypsy Blouse.  This was the second time I had sewn this top and I was able to sew it in just a few hours.  I blogged about my first one here.

This one I sewed slightly smaller, and made the elastic in the back tighter. 
The tiny hem on the sleeve ties were easy to sew on this lightweight denim.  I probably should have cut the blouse hem straight across and then match the scallop at the side seams, but I didn't think of that until I had already followed the pattern piece and cut the curves.  Sigh.
I like how the front is flat, and the sides and back have elastic.  I debated about adding straps so I could wear a regular bra but ultimately decided against doing so. However, I did save some fabric scraps if I change my mind.
I sewed the top with the intent of wearing it to the outdoor Santana concert held in July.  After all, an evening in July in Minnesota should be warm enough for an off-the-shoulder look, right?  Ha!  Nope. It was unseasonably cold the day of the concert and I ended up wearing long sleeves and a jean jacket.
 I only had a chance to wear it once this past summer, but I'm sure it will see plenty of wear next year!  Whether I sew myself another remains to be seen.

The pattern is HP 1196, and can be purchased online. (No affiliation with Hot Patterns, just want to make it easy for you to find the pattern.)

Pin It

5 comments:

  1. It's so cute! That fabric is gorgeous. Swoon.

    Good ole Minnesota. Sigh. Lol!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! And ugh, our Minnesota weather!

      Delete
  2. It's beautiful! I love that embroidered fabric and almost bought some...don't know how I resisted after seeing your gorgeous top!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Carolyn! I missed out the first time Emma One Sock had it for sale, and bought it as soon as it hit their website again! It's lovely, and the sewing world has used for different designs and they are all lovely!

      Delete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin