Wednesday, November 02, 2016

Statement Sleeves: Style Arc's Harlow Top

Statement Sleeves.  They're back! I fell in love with bell sleeves many, many years ago, and I was thrilled to see this trend return.
That's why I immediately ordered Style Arc's Harlow Top as soon as it was released (Oct 1), waiting oh so impatiently for my pattern to arrive from Australia.

The recommended fabrics are linen, cotton, crepe and silk.  And I used a ponte knit.

I didn't intend to sew this from a ponte knit, but I had purchased a half yard of this laser cut fabric about a year ago intending to use it on a pencil skirt.  That never happened and when my pattern arrived I thought the laser cut fabric would work beautifully for the split bell sleeve on the top. 
Off to SR Harris I went to look for navy fabric and I liked the color and feel of this ponte knit.  The cold weather may have had something to do with my decision as I wanted something that felt warm!   As an added bonus, I found it on the $4/yard remnant table.
When I sewed the two fabrics together, I had a brief moment of wondering if the laser cut fabric was actually black instead of navy.   In my Instagram photo it does appear darker.  But then I remembered this fabric had a small tag on it that stated "navy".
Construction of the top is simple and the instructions include a diagram to help you visualize the construction order.  The neckline is finished with a facing. There is a keyhole opening in the back with a button and loop closure. I added a thread loop instead of fabric loop. 
If I sewed this again using a knit, I would eliminate the facing and add a binding. The neckline is wide enough to fit over my head without using the button and loop.  I also had to topstitch the facing around the neckline to get it to stay in place.

The body of the top has a slight A-shape and the back is a little longer than the front.
The only alteration I did was an FBA (full bust adjustment). 

Unfortunately, the top is just a wee-bit too large for me in the shoulder/neck area.  That's why you're only seeing it on my dress form. I probably should have started with smaller size and did the FBA.  That's the one draw back about ordering directly from Style Arc.  You order and receive only one size.  (The patterns available on Amazon are nested so you can trace the size you need.)  I could wear it, but my daughter has broader shoulders than I do and I think this would look great on her! 
Harlow Top image from www.StyleArc.com

When I was at SR Harris I also purchased some silk charmeuse with plans for another Harlow Top. So stay tuned!


Pin It

7 comments:

  1. That's so cool that you're giving this amazing top to your daughter. I'm sure she will be thrilled to get it too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lucky daughter to be the one to wear this amazing top! That laser cut fabric is gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just found this blog and i do not know anything about sewing but just got a sewing machine. I hope following your blog would give me basic knowledge about sewing so i can learn. Thanks for the write ups.

    Bridal Fabric

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful combination of fabrics! I envy your daughter!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a beautiful take on this top. I LOVE the ponte knit. Navy is my favorite color. I wish I could find something similar for a skirt but we have no local fabric stores except JoAnn's anymore. Not even sure what is in Philadelphia proper anymore. Just gorgeous, and so generous to give it away.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It looks amazing, I'd love to make this top using lace!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great to see this trend return - especially with the lace detail. What a great statement piece for your daughter. Thanks for sharing!

    http://www.citystyleandliving.com/editors-notebook-travel-style/

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin