Sunday, August 07, 2016

Burda 6630: T-shirt with Constrast Upper Shoulder

When the fabric calls for a simple design...
As soon as I saw this Italian Digital print knit fabric on the Emma One Sock website (sold out!), I knew I wanted a to use it to sew a t-shirt.  I took into account the cost of the fabric and the fact that I wasn't positive what pattern I wanted to use, when I decided to only purchase one yard.

By the time the fabric arrived, I had decided on Burda 6630, which was one of multiple Burda patterns I picked up for $1.99 each at Hancock's going out of business sale. 
 I sewed View 3 (center on pattern envelope) that required 7/8 yard of fabric and 3/8 yard for the contrast shoulder.

The novelty fabric I used on the shoulder I found locally at SR Harris Fabric Warehouse. It was on a bolt labeled "Worth Designer Collection".  I'm not sure what it is; it appears to be grosgrain ribbon folded and attached to a sheer mesh backing. 
It love the look of it, but it was difficult to sew. The needle on my sewing machine didn't easily penetrate the ribbon. I ended up sandwiching a piece of tissue paper between the fabric and the feed dog and stitching very slowly.  Instead of fighting with the fabric, I hand sewed the shoulder hem and neck band.   The extra work was worth it, as the contrast shoulder helps elevate the tee to extraordinary.
The construction is very simple as there are only four pattern pieces: front, back, shoulder and neck facing.
The tee is designed to be fitted, however I like slightly looser fit and cut my pieces accordingly.  I did a few alterations: a 3/4" FBA (full bust adjustment) using a pivot and slide method; added 1" to the length; and lowered the neckline by 1".

This pattern was a quick sew that produced a nice tee for hot weather. I sewed it just a few weeks ago and have already worn it quite a few times. 
I'll use this pattern again to sew the long sleeve version using a faux leather for the contrast shoulder will be sewn for my casual winter wardrobe.

*****************************************************

Pin It

5 comments:

  1. It is beautiful! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's gorgeous! Mixing the different fabrics together really makes it work.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is really cool. Love how you used the accent fabric!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fab fabric, I can see why it you had to have it, loving the mix of the fabric and shoulder yoke which is usual but love it. The top looks great on and fits you so well.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have that same black fabric and put it on the shoulders of a blouse! Great minds think alike? I like yours better though, that digital print is amazing. :) https://denversews.com/2015/01/28/vogue-1367-rebecca-taylor-blouse-in-jcrew-rayon-twill/

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin