Saturday, March 05, 2016

Butterick 4989 - Cascading Front Vest

This cascading front duster vest came to be when I purchased fabric online without reading the description clearly.  
When the fabric arrived and I discovered it was semi-sheer I knew it wouldn't work for my original plans. However, I had been thinking of sewing a long cascading front vest after trying one on in a boutique just a few weeks earlier.  I managed to save myself about $60 by sewing my own.

I used Butterick 4989, copyright 2007, which recently went out of print.
The vest consists of two pattern pieces, with the back cut on the fold.

After stitching the shoulder and side seams, the armhole is finished with bias tape.  I used this cotton/lycra jersey bindin
g purchased from Fabric Mart Fabrics.   
I also finished all the edges with the knit binding.
Nothing more to add about the construction. The pattern is labeled "Very Easy" for a reason.

Since the little one accompanied me on this photo shoot I'll end this post with the pics that include her.
 She's obviously much more interested in exploring her surroundings that in having her photo taken.
Apparently I think if I point to the camera she'll look in that direction. While it looks like it worked, I'm pretty sure my hubby said something to get her attention.

By the way, the striped top I'm wearing is from the Burda September 2011 issue, tunic 108 blogged about here

And now back to the vest.  I sewed it this past January and have only worn it once,  but I expect this will get a lot of wear over the spring and summer months.
Pin It

6 comments:

  1. Sharon, you are amazing! Talk about turning a negative into a positive! I love your vest and I have also had this pattern for a very long time but never have sewn it up. Tell me something, this knit binding, do you buy it by the yard or by the roll? Great idea to finish this piece off! Love the things you make, girl!
    Loretta Somerville

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this! I'm sure it will be a great piece come spring and you bought the knit binding from Fabric Mart. I dithered over buying some since I STILL have loads left from when I bought rolls from them over a decade ago. It is a great buy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a lovely versatile piece, such beautiful fabric. I'm with you about saving money, and plus you have one of a kind. Cute little photo bomber.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I saw the photo and thought, 'Oh! I need that pattern!'
    Erm. It's oop. sigh.

    Great vest...you will wear it to death.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful! Your fabric is a perfect match for the style. I just made this pattern too, but in white. I need a black one after seeing your version!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a great addition to add to your wardrobe. Looks fantastic on you!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin