Sunday, February 28, 2016

The Style Arc Maddison Top - Times Two

The Style Arc Maddison Top is a raglan sleeve top has a slight trapeze shape, a wide hem, three-quarter length sleeves with a stitch on cuff and round neckline finished with a narrow binding.

I found this interesting patterned stripe ponte knit locally at SR Harris. I wanted to use it for a dress but there was less than two yards left on the bolt. I purchased what was left and decided to test the fit of this Maddison Top.
The top went together quickly with sewing time about an hour.  As with other Style Arc patterns I've sewn, the pieces fit together perfectly. I was so pleased with the top that I quickly stitched a second one using a lighter weight black ponte knit leftover from the Sewing Workshop Euraka Skirt Craftsy kit. (I wish I knew where they purchased the fabric as it is wonderful!)

You can see from the pictures how the fabric choice changes the look of this top. I sewed the exact same size and hemmed each identical. The stripe is the heavier knit and the black is the lighter weight.
I added lace trim to the bottom of the black top as I like that detail when I see it on tops in boutiques. To do so, I placed the lace on the wrong side of the top about 2-1/2" from the bottom edge.
Next, I turned the hem up and stitched it in place, per the instructions. The lace hangs freely below the hemline.
I thought I could wear it with the Style Arc Taylor Knit Skirts that I've sewn, but the proportion is a little off, so pants it is!

Here's the patterned striped version.  Front view:
Back view: 
I found the tops a little boxier than I expected. I did an FBA, but in retrospect I probably could have made a smaller one as there seemed to be plenty of ease. I did take each side seams about an inch.

I purchased a navy and white stripe knit and plan on stitching another Style Arc Maddison Top soon! Pin It

5 comments:

  1. Great tops. I love the lace trinm

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was interested in this pattern when it was released but you have now sold me on it. I particularly love the black one with the lace edging and I may have to steal this idea. Both are lovely tops.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great tops & easy to dress up or down !

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such cute tops and your lace trim is beautiful. You look so good, Sharon, happy sewing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It is amazing that the two tops were made from the same pattern. They look so different. I love the way the stripe worked so well with the raglan sleeves. And the lace trim really adds a nice detail to the black top.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin