Saturday, January 09, 2016

New Look 6423: Tiny Tunic and Leopard Print Leggings

I had the opportunity to do some sewing for the littlest ones in our family recently.  Was that ever fun!  Here is one of them wearing a tunic I sewed as part of her Christmas gift. The cuteness!
The pattern is New Look 6423, and I would link to it on the Simplicity website, but I can't locate this pattern on their site. Since it's a 2015 pattern, I suspect the pattern is still available. 
 I started out making the leggings.  I could hardly stand how cute those little animal print leggings were - and how tiny. I sewed a size 1/2.  A Size 1/2! It's like sewing doll clothes only for an itty-bitty person! 
The tunic neckline is finished with foldover elastic.  I had picked up a few packages of various colors and prints at my local Tuesday Morning store.  I had no use for it at the time, but bought it anyway.  Because you never know when you might need some, right?  
I used the purple with the pink hearts, placing the pink hearts on the inside of the top.  After I finished the front neckline with the foldover elastic I didn't like the way it looked. The elastic seemed too heavy for the knit and the neckline. 
But I forged ahead, thinking when the shoulders were overlapped the elastic would behave better.
I finished the neckline and sewed in those tiny little sleeves into those tiny little armhole openings. (Note, if you sew this tunic, I would recommend sewing the sleeve in flat, then stitching the side seam.  That little armhole opening makes it more challenging to set in the sleeve.) Ugh. It just wasn't working. That neckline would not sit properly!
Of course, I then had my "aha!" moment.  When I looked at everything a bit closer, I realized I had stitched that adorable front pocket onto the back piece, not the front. Oopsie!  So what I thought was the front of the tunic was actually the back, which is why the neckline was off.  Even after many years of sewing I still make silly mistakes.

There was no way I was going to gift this tunic with that neckline!  I didn't have enough fabric to redo the entire tunic. I also didn't want to risk the foldover elastic not working again.

I did have a little bit of fabric left. So I removed the sleeves, removed the foldover elastic (you never know, I may need it for another project!) and cut off the top portion of the tunic.
I then recut the upper portion of the tunic using a master pattern in Kwik Sew's Sewing for Baby book.  I added interfacing to the shoulder seams as I would now need to add snaps to the neck area so this would easily fit over the baby's head. I then stitched the upper bodice pieces to the lower portion of the tunic and finished the tunic.
 I had to add a knit neckband in place of the foldover elastic.

And how crazy is this? I pulled out my storage box where I store my snaps, and found these old snaps! They are from way back when I was sewing for my own little ones!  I ended up using the regular snaps with a decorative pink button on the right side of  neck band.
That pocket I mentioned earlier?  When I bought the pattern, I thought that ruffled semi-circle was just a decorative accent on the tunic.  Which it is - but the tunic also has a pocket sewn into the side seam! Completely unneeded for a four-month-old, but I added it anyway. Because I could. And it's an itty-bitty pocket. (ha!)
I hemmed the leggings and the tunic with a narrow hem on my serger stretching it slighting to give it a very small lettuce edge finish. 

This was a really fun outfit to sew. And I couldn't have asked for a better model! 




Pin It

8 comments:

  1. She looks adorable in it! Sewing for little people is addictive.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Carolyn! And yes, it is addictive.

      Delete
  2. Absolutely adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Precious!!! Can I show it off on Jungle January?

    ReplyDelete
  4. ohhh my gosh. Thanks for sharing-she looks adorable and your sewing is so GOOD.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for sharing this guide on this pretty little number! Sewing for kids is just so much fun, isn’t it? Everything look a lot cuter and more fashionable when little kids wear them!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin