Saturday, January 02, 2016

Butterick 6289 -a knit tunic with sheer overlay

"You're not wearing that to church are you?" 
"I was planning to."
"But those pants! They look like leather!" 
"Um, yea, they're supposed to. They're faux leather leggings." 
"But it's black. You should dress more festive."
"It's a candlelight service. Nobody will notice what I'm wearing."
Traditional Christmas Eve attire? Nope. At least not in my family. 

Even though hubby would have preferred a brighter color (his words), I wore the outfit to our Christmas Eve service and the family gathering after church. Well, okay, I admit I changed the faux leather leggings.  And while the top is black, I'd like to point out that it does have sequins which sparkled beautifully in the candlelight. 

The top is Butterick 6289. One of the new releases. And I'm shocked that I actually purchased a pattern and sewed it within one month.  New patterns usually sit in my stash for quite some time before I actually do more than gaze upon them and dream of the possibilities.  
I like all the overlay options for the top and thought the overlays would work well in sheer knits.  I had purchased two yards of a sheer Anna Sui sequined net fabric from Fabric Mart Fabrics about two years ago. The fabric didn't work for what I originally had in mind, but I immediately thought of it for this pattern. Even though it was marked "dry clean" I tried washing it using gentle cycle with cold water and it was fine.
 
The top is a basic long tee,with raglan sleeves and a v-neckline. I sewed view D (the red one on the pattern cover) which has a front and back overlay that is attached to the neckline and to one sleeve.  The overlay covers one sleeve, while the other sleeve is uncovered.  (Ha, ha, this photo looks like I should head for the restroom - in fact hubby snapped it just as I was trying to adjust my cold feet. )

I sewed the shoulder and side seam of the overlay with French seams since the fabric is sheer. The overlay is left unhemmed. The body of the top is an ITY black knit purchased locally at Hancock Fabrics.
I did make a couple of small changes to the pattern.  This top has no dart, so I added a small dart. I reshaped the v-neck to a round neckline. I also substituted the two-piece sleeve pattern from Vogue 8670 .

I like the finished top. I know it won't be worn often as how many excuses can I find to wear a semi-dramatic black sequined top?  Not many with my lifestyle. But I don't regret sewing it. Or wearing it on Christmas Eve.

Will I sew it again? Yes. Maybe I'll even use a brighter color. But I'll still pair it with my faux leather leggings.

****************************************************** Pin It

12 comments:

  1. Cool outfit. Glad you stuck to your guns and wore the top. Very sparkly!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Hubby knows I'll rarely change my mind on what I've decided to wear but that doesn't stop him from trying (hee, hee!)

      Delete
  2. It looks awesome! I love it! Definitely perfect for a candlelight service.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! We think a like about the candlelight service :-)

      Delete
  3. It came out beautifully! Great call to use a sheer for the overlay!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I thought the top looked a little "heavy" with the same color overlay.

      Delete
  4. Love the look of the sheer overlay and looks festive. Love the leggings also.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You look very stylish in your Christmas Eve service, and very festive. Love your boots too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love this! And I can just see the sequins sparkling in the candlelight. Also why does everything we make have to be worn ALL the time! Isn't that the beauty of sewing that we can make anything for any occasion? Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  7. WOW! I really like your creation of a very cool pattern! It truly captures your "spirit". It looks very high end, like something you would see in "Soft Surroundings" catalog!

    ReplyDelete
  8. That is stinkin' cute. And the leggings are perfect. Sparkles in candlelight are bonus. :-)

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin