Tuesday, December 01, 2015

Style Arc Esme Designer Knit Top, another winner

Another Style Arc design that I sewed recently is the Esme Designer Knit Top. I used a textured ponte knit purchased locally from Hancock Fabrics.  The fabric was left over from a skirt I had sewn. I would have liked long sleeves since it's now winter, but I didn't have enough fabric.



This pattern I purchased from Amazon.com instead of directly from their website.  The patterns on Amazon.com are multi-sized and the line for each size is printed in a different color making it a breeze to trace!
This pullover knit top has a bias cut collar designed to be worn high or turned over, can have long or short sleeves and has a high-low hem. The collar and the hemline are what attracted me to the pattern. I'm easing into the return of the turtleneck with this design.  And a top that covers my rear? Well, that's always a plus in my book.

Here's the collar turned over:
Here's the collar up.  This ponte knit is too soft for it to be worn up, so it's a good think I prefer the other look. 

Here's the back of the collar.  I like the little "v" formed when the collar is turned down.  The instructions for sewing the "v" in the back were very easy to follow.

I added the optional top stitching on the seams, pressing each seam open before top stitching.  I like that little detail even though it will likely go unnoticed by most.


The back is about four inches longer than the front.  I machine stitched the hem in place by machine, although the instructions call for a blind stitch.
I sewed this top thinking I would wear it with my Simplicity 1070 knit skirt, but I'm not sure I like the proportions.
Next I tried it with my black Sewing Workshop Eureka skirt, but again, I'm not sure I like the two together.  I'll probably just wear it with black pants.
I'm between sizes in Style Arc patterns and ended up sewing this in the larger size with no FBA based on the flat pattern measurement.  That was one nice thing about the multi-sized pattern. I can always retrace the smaller size if I decide I want a closer fit.
I've sewn the Big 4 patterns for so long that I automatically want to sew with a 5/8" seam allowance. I need to remind myself that these Style Arc patterns are designed with 3/8" seam allowance (and 1/4" allowance at the neckline).

The Esme Designer Knit Top has options for long sleeves and a neckband instead of a collar.  This is definitely a pattern I'll be using again.
************************** Pin It

3 comments:

  1. This is a cute top! Love the fabric choice and I agree any top with backside coverage works for me. Thanks for the Amazon tip about Style Arc patterns.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Another lovely top!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just ordered this pattern from Amazon over the weekend. I am glad to read your review. I like the multicolored lines for the multisizes, thanks for pointing that out. Love the look of your top and I want to try the long sleeve version 'cause it is cold here, nothing like you guys are experiencing.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin