Saturday, December 26, 2015

Simplicity 1072 - Three 30-minute knit skirts

Simplicity 1072.  The title pretty much sums up this post - not much more to say about the this one! I purchased the pattern intending to sew the pullover top, but so far I've only used it to sew three knit skirts. 

I choose my size by my hip measurement and there was zero ease allowed.  The first time, I went up two sizes as I wanted a more work appropriate fit.  I ended up taking in the seams so that I actually only went up one size. The skirt is now close-fitting but not form fitting, which is my personal preference. 

Sewing this skirt only takes about 30 minutes from cutting to hemming. There are four pieces to cut: one front skirt, one front waistband, one back skirt, one back waistband. There is no identified front or back so I added a size tag to the back of each skirt.

It's designed to sit 1" below your waist. The pattern calls for 1-1/2" elastic but I had 3/4" on hand so I used that instead. 

My first version (the floral print) was sewn from a scuba knit leftover from my Style Arc Flat Bottom Flo pants. The fabric was purchased at Colorado Fabrics when I was vacationing in Colorado.

My second version was sewn in a stretch velvet knit purchased when I attended PR Weekend in 2013. It was semi-sheer in places so I added a black tricot lining.  The waistband is a black knit as I didn't have enough of the print for the band.  

The fabric on the one I whipped up this morning is a gray and black houndstooth Ponte knit purchased at my local Hancock Fabrics. That one is for my daughter and I shortened it 3" as she's only 5' 2". 
As for the top? Yes, I still plan on sewing that top! 

***********************************


Pin It

9 comments:

  1. Very productive! Look great too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Isn't it great to have easy patterns like this?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sharon, these are great, and I love the blue and green one which you have placed front and center. I am finishing up the 3rd of a series of tees with shirt tail hems and 3/4 length sleeves. I love knits :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. The skirts are great! Love that they sew up so quickly!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love a quick-sew. Especially love that style of skirt. Great fabric choices too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Such lovely versatile skirts!

    ReplyDelete
  7. 30 minute skirts are right up my alley if you know what I mean. Love the fabrics you choose. Of course I also need to try that pattern.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love your skirts! I need a basic black pencil skirt and I have this pattern. I purchased it for the top and completely overlooked the skirt!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I just purchased this pattern a few days ago for that top. On my cutting table to sew soon. Will give the skirt another look as it could be an option to sew up some quick skirts using some left over fabric. Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin