Friday, December 04, 2015

Butterick 6065, My Favorite Summer Cocoon Jacket

As I write this, the place this photo was taken is shimmering with the sun light bouncing off of the snow and ice that now covers that trail.  Yes, it's obvious that I've been lax in updating my blog with the multitude of sewing projects I've completed this past year.

This is one of those projects. I sewed this cocoon jacket in December of 2014 (a year ago!) and obviously didn't take photos to blog until this past summer.  The jacket is Butterick 6065 and it quickly became one of my summer favorites.

It's amazingly simple simple to sew - just the main body pattern piece and the neckband!
I purchased the fabric the last time we visited the Denver, CO area.  I always find time to stop at Colorado Fabrics, which is conveniently located within 10 miles of a relative's home.  This lovely piece of fabric was found in the pre-cut section of the store.  I wasn't sure what I would use it for when I bought it, but knew it needed to come home with me.

The open weave fabric has small sequins also, which I couldn't capture in the photographs. 
The jacket has no shoulder or side seams. The shoulder area is shaped with darts and there is a small seam on the front connecting the front and back together.  I used French seams throughout because of the open weave.

I like the slightly rounded shape of the jacket.
It feels so comfy when worn.  And covers my backside.

And look closer at the photo - I'm wearing my surgical shoe from the foot surgery! That's how long it's been since I took these photos.  

As I'm posting this photos, I'm reminded again how much I like this jacket. I think I need to go through my fabric stash and sew myself another one for the winter season!

******************************************************* Pin It

6 comments:

  1. What a fun make. I admit to passing over the novelty knits at Colorado Fabrics b/c I have no idea how to use them. You found a perfect pairing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is gorgeous! I'm glad that you're going through and blogging old projects especially when you can relate them to fall/winter sewing. That is a pattern I could use now in my new work environment. Keep sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've made that one and it's fun to wear. I used a pleated fabric from Fabric Mart, bought on a whim because it intrigued me and was $2 yd. I get compliments on it every time I wear it! I would never think to make it in such an open weave fabric. It would be great for summer.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks like the perfect topper.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very pretty! Thanks for reminding me of this pattern. I made it out of a heavy sweater knit, but hadn't thought about it as a lightweight summer topper.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for blogging about this one! Yours looks VERY nice...I knew I would like it, but I have too many patterns now. Then I saw the photo of the pattern...I already have that one! Not only will I like it, but it will be easy to make and pretty Christmas presents!!!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin