Sunday, August 16, 2015

Simplicity 1333 - Child's Tunic with Contast Fabric Front

I have a great-niece starting kindergarten this year.  Her birthday falls in August so in addition to gifting her with a toy, I sewed her four going-to-school tunics using Simplicity 1333.

Number one: Black knit sleeves, back and bodice with contract floral voile front with pink ric-rac trim.
Number two: Mustard knit sleeves and back with a cotton print front. The size 8 I sewed was just a bit too long to cut the front piece completely from the fat quarter so I added a narrow contrast fabric band along the lower edge.
Number three; Cranberry knit sleeves, back and yoke with a gold/red cotton print front. I added a purchased white lace jabot to the front also.
Number four: White knit front and sleeves with lace trim and cotton print back. The print was supposed to be in the front but I didn't realize until I had finished the neck binding that I had mixed up the front and back pieces.  Sheesh, after all these years I'm still making silly sewing mistakes.  I added three rows of white lace to the front because it was so blah.

Let me tell you, I was on a roll!  Each one took just under one hour to cut and sew.

Normally I wouldn't spend a gorgeous summer weekend day sitting inside sewing. But I'm still wearing a surgical shoe from my recent foot surgery and sewing sounded better than watching television. And I was having fun sewing for little ones.

Sooooo, once I finished the four tunics for my great-niece, I stitched up one more for a friend's daughter who is wild about giraffes. The front is a silk giraffe print (prewashed so mama doesn't have to hand wash the tunic) combined with a white cotton knit.
The pattern, Simplicity 1333, includes the tunic and leggings for Misses'(S to XL) and an 18"doll
It's a great basic top/tunic pattern that I anticipate I will sew again for the two girls.

*********************************************************** Pin It

5 comments:

  1. She should love this; they are very cute and so perfect for back to school!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such cute combinations! Any trouble seaming knits and wovens together?

    ReplyDelete
  3. She will like all. They're beautiful and she will have happy days in the kindergarten.

    My Blog | certificate of tesol

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the outfits for the couple that is lovely and cute. It's happy that you and your partner wear the same clothes when going around together.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the outfits for the couple that is lovely and cute. It's happy that you and your partner wear the same clothes when going around together.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin