Wednesday, May 27, 2015

Vogue 2912 - A Border Print Skirt from a 1992 Calvin Klein pattern


This black and white cotton border print skirt is one I sewed in 2013.  The fabric was purchased in 2012 from Denver Fabrics (now Colorado Fabrics) when I vacationed in Colorado (and visited the lovely ladies at the Sew News offices). 

The pattern is a Calvin Klein design, Vogue 2912, from 1992. 


The fullness of the skirt comes from multiple tiny tucks and minimal gathers at the waist.


Since I was using a border print I  needed to determine the finished length of the skirt before cutting the fabric.  As you can see, I did have to shorten this pattern quite a bit.  In retrospect, I wish I had shortened it more so that it would hit at my knee, not below.  I have this picture in my files of the skirt pattern with the tucks pinned, but now that a few years have passed, I don't recall why I needed to pin everything before cutting the fabric.


I marked all those tiny tucks with tailor's tacks.


Pretty? No. But functional and much easier for me to make accurate tucks. If the tucks were sewn too big or too small the fit of the skirt would have been off.

Here's one of my Instagram pics of the skirt in progress. Those tucks were fun to sew,  but time-consuming.


When I cut and sewed the waistband I didn't realize until I was done that I had an embroidered section of fabric right at the top of the waistband. Which meant I had to substitute a hook and eye closure for the button and buttonhole (which was the pattern design).

The skirt has inseam pockets.  Love having pockets, especially in the office as it's a handy place to clip my ID badge.  I also added a full lining (white cotton) so I wouldn't need to wear a slip.

While I love the fabric and the idea of this design, the skirt is not quite my style.  I'll continue to wear it on those hot summer days when a it's more comfortable than shorts, but it's not my favorite silhouette.

**************************************************************************


Pin It

14 comments:

  1. It's a pretty skirt and I understand it not being your style! I've liked an item or two, then made it up and not liked it too. One of those sewing pitfalls. But I love that you still own that Calvin Klein pattern. I know I made this skirt back in my size 8 days many, many years ago!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Carolyn! Yes, I loved the idea of this skirt, and it turned out just as I envisioned. But in my mind I still had my 20-something figure which would have ROCKED this skirt, LOL. And the pattern came in a lot I bought years ago on eBay. I've been trying to use some of those older patterns instead of always buying new.

      Delete
  2. think you look great in the skirt. I do love border prints1

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Linda! Yes, I love border prints too!

      Delete
  3. Hello from Spain: I really like. It is very interesting. Keep in touch.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's pretty and looks comfortable to wear. What chance was there of that embroidered bit being where you needed to make a buttonhole?!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! It is comfy. And yes, what were the chances of the embroidery being RIGHT THERE! Ha, ha! It actually worked out for the best as the hook and eye means a nice flat closure at the waist.

      Delete
  5. Lovely skirt! I like the look of this style, and like you it is not my go to style skirt.. You did a great job with this and I can see how this would feel cool when wearing during hot summer days. Sometimes it is fun to pull out something you made a couple of years ago and wear it on occasion.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Linda! When I pull my summer clothing out of storage I always find something I had forgotten about and it feels "new" again

      Delete
  6. I think its a lovely skirt and it does look wonderfully cool.
    I think it might grow on you.
    Your solution to the waistband is terrific.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! yes, it is very comfortable on hot, sticky days.

      Delete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin