Sunday, April 05, 2015

Vogue 7971 Skirt - Playing with Stripes

 
 Last May, when I attended the Pattern Review Weekend in Austin, TX, this striped fabric was one of my purchases.
There are bias stripes sewn to the navy cotton background.  Honestly, I wasn't completely sure what I wanted to sew with the fabric, but purchased some not knowing if I'd be able to find something similar at home.

The fabric hung in my closet waiting for inspiration for these past 11 months.  Unlike Lisette (who I met at PR weekend! She is absolutely lovely inside and out) who purchased the same fabric and used it within weeks to sew her darling Simplicity 2413 skirt.

I think I got stuck on what to sew as the prints had a bit of a "Little House on the Prairie" feel to me. Whatever I choose,  I didn't want it to look "80s" or "crafty".

Eventually I decided on Vogue 7971, a skirt design released in 2004. I came across it as I was making a donation pile for the local thrift store. I actually pulled it back out of the pile thinking this striped fabric could work well for View C (which happens to be illustrated in a pinstripe).
I especially like the front asymmetrical overlay on the skirt.  Plus the angles of the skirt definitely take away any "Little House in the Prairie" vibe I was getting.

I barely had enough fabric to cut out all of the pieces so I wasn't able to match every stripe/seam but on some parts it's  pretty darn close.  Here is a side front view of the overlay.

I added an invisible zipper and the chevrons, while not perfect, work fine.

I'm pleased with how the skirt turned out and expect it will receive a fair amount of wear this summer.

Pin It

13 comments:

  1. This is a great skirt! I'm glad that you saved the pattern!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, right! I'm also glad I kept the pattern.

      Delete
  2. Beautiful skirt and perfect pattern with the more modern look. Great job as always.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love it! A bit artsy, a bit edgy and perfect fabric pattern match.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oooo, I like that description :-)

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. Thanks! I'll have to bring it our next "sew and tell" so you can all see the fabric.

      Delete
  5. Beautiful Skirt !

    ReplyDelete
  6. The skirt turned out beautifully. You chose the perfect pattern for it too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, yes! Sometimes I see someones work and it just makes me want to go sew- your skirt is one of those inspiring makes.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, this is such a cute skirt and the pattern was perfect for how you used the striped fabric.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin