Sunday, March 08, 2015

Butterick 6101 Knit Tunic Review

Butterick 6101, a Katherine Tilton design, is a loose-fitting, pullover tunic with a fun pocket details. I sewed this last fall within weeks after returning home from our Colorado vacation. This fabulous blue/gray patterned knit was a pre-cut from Colorado Fabrics. (I sure do love that fabric store! I try and stop in every time we vacation in Colorado). The coordinating gray is a silk/rayon knit from Fabric Mart Fabrics (one of my other fave fabric stores).

This tunic was fun to construct.  As I mentioned on my Instagram account (SharonSews - are you following me on IG yet?) I was short 1/4 yard of fabric. I also had to work with a wide edge of solid gray on the fabric. However I discovered that the fabric allowance given by the pattern company must have been  generous. 


I carefully marked the pieces and followed the instructions as it wasn't intuitive to me how this would come together.  That bottom hem was constructed differently than I thought it would be - it is actually separate pieces.


My gray knit was much too soft to hold the shape of neck band and ended up looking really sloppy. I ended up folding it in half and slipstitching it to the inside.

That pocket! How fun is that! To me that makes this tunic.  Oh how I love those little details.  It drapes beautifully and you really can't tell that it actually is a pocket.

Sadly, I only wore the tunic twice - once to get these photos and once to work (on a casual Friday when jeans are allowed). 
It's too large. It felt sloppy when I wore it and I was constantly readjusting it.
However, this does end happily. My daughter has broader shoulders than I do and she is now the owner of this tunic.

I have more knit (although no more of this print) and now just need to find more time so I can sew myself one.

****************************



Pin It

16 comments:

  1. I agree, this is a beautiful pattern. Sorry your top didn't fit, but I'm sure your daughter is excited. For yourself, you'll make another great choice of fabric.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! My daughter says it is one of her favorite tops, so I'm actually happy it turned out the way it did! Now to find another great fabric...

      Delete
  2. I really really like your blouse. It is very cute.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love your tunic and the fabric you used. At least it fits your daughter

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jennifer! Yes, I'm also glad she could wear it.

      Delete
  4. You sure made the right choices about how to use that fabric! I love the tunic and I'm glad your daughter is going to wear it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Judi. I loved the tunic also, but am happy my daughter likes it just as much.

      Delete
  5. It's nice that it stayed in the family! I love this type of style but find some of the patterns overwhelming in their ease. I know you can make this work for you :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mary. Yes, I'm finding that these "artsy" tunic designs do have a lot of ease! More than I care for (and I hate tight clothing!)

      Delete
  6. I made the sleeveless version and there was significant gaposis. Think maybe I need to try again in the smaller size. (Review and blog link on patternreview.com)
    Thanks for sharing your version - very nice!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jan! I'll have to check our your patternreview.com and blog review! I'm going to go a smaller size next time.

      Delete
  7. Great fabric! Glad your daughter will get a great looking top! I find the Tilton patterns run large on me and now go down a size for a good fit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Linda, I'm learning that the Tilton patterns do run a bit large on me also. But I sure like the designs!

      Delete
  8. I love a happy ending!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin