Sunday, July 27, 2014

Vogue 8898 - My Butterflies are Free Summer Dress

 I saw this knit tucked in amongst the bolts of clearance fabric at my local Hancock Fabrics store a few months back and purchased the remaining 2-1/2 yards.  At only $3 per yard I thought the butterfly print would work well for a trendy summer dress.

I wanted something simple and unfitted so I wouldn't need to wear "suck you in" undergarments when wearing the dress on hot, muggy summer days.  Vogue 8898 it was!  An easy pullover style with an asymmetrical detail I liked.


I did zero alterations to the pattern. Although because of my curves I did lower the placement of the belt opening on the front by 1-1/2". 

The "buttonhole" belt opening is on the front and back of the dress.  I finished the opening differently than the pattern instructions. I finished it with a small facing, turned it inside, top stitched it in place and trimmed the excess fabric inside the dress.

I added a band to the neckline rather then turning under and top stitching per the instructions. 

The stitches on the top stitching appear to be slightly crooked. But that's okay. It's because I stitch my knit garments with a very narrow zig-zag stitch when I'm not using my serger.  I know some sewers don't sew knits this way, but I've never quite gotten the hang of using a straight stitch on knits.  Here's the stitch setting I use on my machine (Pfaff 2056).


The dress is described as loose-fitting and it does indeed have quite a bit of ease in the design. I cut a small in the shoulder/neckline tapering to a medium for the rest of the dress.   I choose the longer length knowing I'd likely wear the dress to church.  I wasn't positive how the dress would work on my curves, but I'm pleased with how it turned out.

After I sewed the dress I was browsing Pinterest and came across this Pin labeled Talulah dress - which sure looks like Vogue 8898 to me, 

Parting shot - a quick photo with my two sewing buddies.

********************************************************************
Pin It

39 comments:

  1. This is a really cute dress! Love your fabric choice!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is beautiful and it is so you. Great job.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lori - I do like the "odd" details (as hubby likes to say, LOL)

      Delete
  3. Very Pretty Dress.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful dress. I really like the asymmetrical style. The Talulah version is way boring compared to yours. And I'm with you on the straight stitch on knits. I've made a few garments this way and they have a ton of popped stitches.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Also glad to know I'm knot the only one who has experienced popped stitches when using a straight stitch on knits.

      Delete
  5. Very cute dress and looks good on you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Home run for a summer dress! You look great in it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I have so many summer dresses but couldn't resist adding this one.

      Delete
  7. The print and colors really play to your own coloring. I love the length also.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mary! I really like how the navy and orange work together in this print.

      Delete
  8. Wow, I love that fabric. And, of course, I can't get the Elton John song out of my head now. :) Enjoy your new summer dress.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha, ha, ha - sorry for the earworm! At least it's a great song :-)

      Delete
  9. Lovely dress and fabulous fabric.
    -sewingelle

    ReplyDelete
  10. That dress came out really cute! I love it. Now your going to make me add that pattern to my wish list, lol! Also I gave you a shout out on my blog, if you get a change check it out. Your are truly a great source of inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awwww, Brini - thanks for the shout out. I'm not so great about leaving comments on your blog (I promise to get better at that!) but I pop over there and you do lovely work!

      Delete
  11. So pretty and I love the fabric

    ReplyDelete
  12. Very nice dress, love the print.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Gorgeous dress and fabric, why do I only notice these patterns the day after the end of a vogue sale?!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! That happens to me all the time, too! Although it appears that Vogue patterns are on sale again (thru July 31, 2014). Can't wait to see your version!

      Delete
  14. Love your dress! I bought this pattern last summer but never got to it. I will definitely put it in the queue for this Summer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I bought this pattern last summer also and kept putting it off. Glad I didn't wait any longer - can't wait to see yours

      Delete
  15. Lovely! I like it on you so much more than the pattern cover. I'm going to have to check my Hancock's and see if they have any of this left!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ann! This style dress will look gorgeous on you!

      Delete
  16. By an amazing coincidence, I am reading this post while wearing the exact same dress pattern and view. I, too, sewed a facing to the buttonhole and finished the neckline with a narrow band. Mine is a teal and black faux bois print but not as cute as your butterflies.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's so cool! I bet yours is lovely - I love teal and black combinations.

      Delete
  17. Gorgeous dress. Perfect combination of fabric and style. It has so many wearing options. I love it. I need to pick up this pattern.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I really like this dress! I really miss seeing some patterns when I browse. I guess that is why we all like reading other bloggers' blogs so we can see some eye candy we would like to buy. I love the fabric also.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly! I overlook patterns that I change my mind on after seeing what another sewing bloggers has created.

      Delete
  19. Oh how I love this on you!

    ReplyDelete
  20. SEND ME THIS DRESS!!!! :-)

    ooooh, I could just come and get it! lol!! Very pretty Sharon!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin