Monday, June 23, 2014

Summer Breeze Skirt - Simplicity 1662

"My, don't you look colorful!" 

I heard that comment twice today as I walked into the office wearing my Simplicity 1662 skirt.  


Was it meant as a compliment? Maybe, maybe not.  Who cares? When the sun is shining and the temps are soaring, I enjoy wearing colorful skirts and dresses.

This design is a hi low skirt with an elasticized waist. I sewed view B, a faux wrap, with the addition of a ruffle.
I appreciate how much the front pieces cross over on this design.  When that summer breeze becomes a gust of wind you don't want to drop what is in your arms to quickly try and keep your skirt in place. 

I also liked the separate casing for the waistline elastic.
The fullness of the skirt, the addition of the ruffle and the soft fabric created the perfect combination allowing the skirt to swirl and float as I walked. 

The fabric is a polyester print purchased at my local Hancock Fabrics in 2013.  In fact, I sewed this skirt within days of purchasing the fabric but didn't wear the skirt at all last summer. I'm determined to not let that happen again this year! 

For the office I simply paired it with a white cami, a turquoise green cardi, gold leather peep toe flats and clear beaded necklace. 

For running errands on the weekend I pair it with a sleeveless top and sandals. 
 This easy-breezy skirt is a breeze to sew and a delight to wear.  
************************************************************* Pin It

24 comments:

  1. Very cute! Love a good print in the summer!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the print!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's so pretty! Co-workers are funny with their clothing comments aren't they? I would sometimes ask my 8th grade girl students for a fashion analysis...always a mistake! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mary! I'd be afraid to ask 8th grade girls for fashion analysis!

      Delete
  4. Gorgeous! I love the color and it is definitely looking good on you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is the second awesome skirt that I've seen made up from that pattern! I'm thinking I may need one...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! You do need to sew yourself one Carolyn

      Delete
  6. It's perfect for summer! I would say those comments are "compliments" love wear bright colors in summer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it was a compliment too, just came out funny!

      Delete
  7. Super cute and I love the fabric!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This looks gorgeous and I love the colours. You may have swayed me on this pattern!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Go for it T! So simple and lots of options for fabrics with this skirt

      Delete
  9. The fabric pattern itself looks breezy and suits the style well. Re co-worker comments, they were probably compliments but even if not, they noticed it and that's a good thing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right, Linda - they notice it and that IS a good thing!

      Delete
  10. I love the skirt and have added it to my pattern list! Yes, Sharon thanks to you I have returned to sewing and Barbie benefits too! I love the colors too so I hope I can find a print something like that. You sew like I do, everything is an investment that I can work with many different look. As for the co-workers, brush the haters off your shoulder, lol!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Can't wait to see what you fabric you choose Brini - glad you're back to sewing for Barbie! I also love sewing for her.

      Delete
  11. so flirty in the ruffled version! Your coworkers are just jealous!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Flirty - yea, it does kinda make me feel that way when I wear it :-)

      Delete
  12. Cute skirt. I like addition of the ruffle as well as having a skirt that is casual or work appropriate.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin