Saturday, June 28, 2014

SR Harris Fabric Outlet - just another fabric shopping trip

Can you stand yet another post on the infamous SR Harris Fabric Outlet?

I only live about 40 miles from the fabric warehouse, which doesn't sound all that far. But, from where I live I need to drive through the heart of Minneapolis to reach the place and it can take me more than an hour. Doesn't sound so bad until you realize that you'll likely spend at least three hours inside shopping.  Add the commute time home and it's a five-hour ordeal.  I don't about you but my weekends are booked pretty solid and finding an extra five hours is difficult.

That's why, when I had a full-day of a work training scheduled only five miles from the place I hightailed it over there at the end of the day's training.  I could either spend a few hours fighting my way home in rush our traffic or spend a few hours waiting for traffic to thin out enjoying myself at the fabric store. 

I was looking for a few specific things this trip.  One was some appliques, which can be found in the rows of bins jam-packed full of appliques that cost $3 each. It requires patience and digging as there is no order to the items in the bins.
I didn't find what I had in mind, but did purchase these three leather embellishments.
I did notice they have increased the rows of quilting cottons tremendously.
The rows of silk always draws my attention. Although this visit I wasn't looking for silks.  The roll pulled out with the reds and purples was one I was debating about purchasing but decided no.  It was marked $25/yard so it sells for $12.50/yard.  Fabrics are all 1/2 of the price marked on the end of the bolt.
Since I had time to waste while I waiting for that heavy rush hour traffic to subside I began looking for the bolts with the designer fabrics.

I loved the texture of this SUNO fabric, but just couldn't figure out what I would sew with it since the colors could not be worn near my face.

 However I did purchase some of this SUNO border knit.  Remember, half off the marked price so this was $6/yard.

Others names I spotted while wandering through the aisles included Nanette LaPore.

Ellen Tracy (turn the sound off on your machine if you click the link to the Ellen Tracy site.)
Tahari


 Nike knits

 Half of an aisle filled with bolts from Worth.  Keep in mind this is a warehouse and an aisle is quite long and quite high.
 The other half of the aisle was filled with bolts labeled "Made in Italy". 
In addition to these few bolts I showed you, there are wools, leather pieces and hides, linens, challis, dancewear, satins, cottons, fleeece, faux furs, home dec fabrics, home dec trimmings, laces, trims, zippers, buttons, and more. Whew.

If you haven't seen it yet, in 2011 I put a short clip on Youtube from one of my shopping trips to give you an idea of what to expect once inside.

I did notice  that the prices have gone up,  but I guess that's the case with everything. 

Next post I'll share my fabric purchases with you.

***********************************************************




Pin It

15 comments:

  1. I just purchased some that same navy/white cotton (7th bolt from to one) in the quilting stack. Also got it in a red/white print color way. Got it at a bargain at $1 yd at a Dallas fabric outlet. Would love to visit and touch all that beautiful designer stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a fabulous trip!! I would paw my way through the applique bins for sure!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kyle - those applique bins are my faves, but you do need patience as they are so jam packed it can be a daunting task to find what you want.

      Delete
  3. How fun! Thanks for the great photos, I enjoyed this!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I lived in Lake Elmo for 23 years and I think it sometime took me that long to drive to Sid's. But boy do I miss it! Nothing in Chicago compares - really! I found some of the most wonderful fabrics at bargain prices over the years I shopped there. It's well worth whatever time it takes to get there and the hours of shopping are a grand adventure! I'm so envious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lake Elmo - what a beautiful area to live in! My hubby and I used to enjoy dinner at Lake Elmo Inn at least once a year but haven't been there for quite sometime. I love how you call it Sid's - he is a character isn't he?

      Delete
  5. Can't wait to see your haul. Sounds like you had a blast, even though there was traffic.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds like a good trip to me! I never get tired of your fabric shopping days. You and others are my motivators to really get back in to sewing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wowzers. Give me a minute to close my mouth. Thank you very much for posting these pictures.

    Designer fabrics at reasonable prices. Everything's 50% off. Spend hours looking at inventory.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's exactly how I felt when the first time I entered the place! That was, oh goodness, early 1990s when I was sewing clothing to wear to the local Ren Faire. A girlfriend introduced me to the warehouse and I quickly became a fan.

      Delete
  8. After living in the Twin Cities for over 25 years, I finally made my first trip to SR Harris today.....WOW! AWESOME!

    ReplyDelete
  9. After living in the Twin Cities for over 25 years, I finally made my first trip to SR Harris today.....WOW! AWESOME!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin