Saturday, March 15, 2014

McCall's 6519 pullover top

Great Fabric + Simple Design = Wardrobe Staple.

When I found this striking black and white designer print online at Mood Fabrics (no longer available) I wasn't positive what I wanted to sew. I just knew I wanted it to be simple. The top from McCall's 6519 was the perfect choice as the simplicity of the design let the fabric take center stage.

Before deciding on this pattern I did a little online snooping to see if I could find what the designer had made from this fabric. The only item I found was this tank style top, so who knows if the fabric was used for something other than a top.

Having sewn the McCall's top a few months previously, I knew I would benefit from a small FBA. The lines below show the final altered pattern front. Instead of sewing the dart I eased the extra fabric the front to the back along the side seam.
Instead of using purchased bias tape per the pattern instructions, I made self-fabric bias binding. Because it looks good...and I really like making bias binding! 

The armholes are hemmed with the bias binding.

As is the neckline.  The bias bindings are turned inside and topstitched in place.

A narrow hem finishes the bottom edge.

This past winter season I paired it with black pants (or skirt), a brightly colored jacket or sweater and for warmth wrapped an infinity scarf around my neck.
The pants in the Instagram pic above are the Burda Slouchy pants I blogged about back in January. Of 2009!   While I'm happy I can still fit into them,  I must admit they are getting rather snug. It just might be time to retire them and sew a new pair of black pants.

*************************************************



Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin