To be honest with you, I wasn't positive I would like this style. It's out of my comfort zone as I like my clothes a little more fitted and a little more tailored. But after tossing it on to take a quick pick I could hardly wait to tell you how comfy this little dress is!
I was immediately drawn to the gray version when this pattern was released recently and purchased it during a Club BMV sale. It's a Marcy Tilton design, Vogue 8975, with some great details and interesting pieces - like a puzzle (as Martha already noted when reviewing her fabulous version!)
Soon after purchasing the pattern I stumbled across a multi-colored stripe cotton knit at Hancock Fabrics and knew I'd found the fabric for the dress. I paired the stripe knit with a black ITY knit which worked beautifully for this design.
The front hangs lower than the back as you can see from the side view.
Okay, the show and tell portion is over - now onto the fit and sewing review.
The pattern is rated "average" and that might be because of the multiple "puzzle" pieces. I found it to be an easy dress to sew. Almost everything matched up - I had one problem that I still can't figure out so I'm not sure if it was because I was cutting in between sizes or if it was the pattern. When I got to step 4 where you sew the lower front to the lower side front forming the corners that eventually get tacked inside to the pockets, well my seams didn't match. One side was about 2" too long. Like I said, I couldn't figure it out so I just chopped that extra fabric off. Seems to have worked out okay.
As usual the instructions would have you sew the sleeves in after sewing the side seams. I sewed the sleeves in flat, like I always do with knits, and then sewed the side seams.
The dress is described as very loose-fitting but noted as close-fitting through the bust). Wanting to keep the integrity of the design I did a very small FBA using a pivot and slide method before cutting out the pattern using the size I typically would use in a Vogue (12/top, 14/bottom). I cut between a S and M in the shoulder/neckline, tapering to a M at the bust/waist/hip. Holy loose-fitting Batman! The shoulders fit me nicely (I have narrow, sloping shoulders so you have broad shoulders you'll want to be aware of the fit) but everything else just kinda hung loosely. I ended up taking in 1" on each side seam beginning about mid-way at the sleeve tapering back to the seamline at the pockets. I didn't want to lose any of those great pockets! That provided a much better fit but it's still pretty loose and I'll likely make a smaller size if I sew this one again.
I feared with my body type the design may look matronly on me, but I think it works. I can see this being a go-to dress when the weather warms up. I kinda wish I would have made the sleeves long as I could wear it right now with tights and boots!
For now it will go into my closet awaiting the soon (fingers crossed) to arrive spring weather.